Re: FLEAS!

Post by peejay »

Apparently the stuff chops 'em up like microscopic razors! :o
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Antone seen an increase in ticks?
Not personally but I did see a piece on the local news saying something about increased numbers. I was only half watching it but hot weather was the cause I think.
jansman

Post by jansman »

A local deer park here is rife with them.Dog walkers and picnic parties have been reporting infestations.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:07 pm Our vet recommended an alternative to Frontline called "Bravecto" which is supposed to last for three months between treatments, it's seems to be working so far, nine months in.

https://us.bravecto.com/

Antone seen an increase in ticks?
Yes definitely more ticks in the earlier part of the year.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

peejay wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:59 pm I can't offer a perfect solution but I can suggest a warning. In our household our dog is the OH's "baby" so she makes a point of doing everything positive for him that he can, e.g. raw fed etc. (We realised after we lost our last dog 7yrs ago how many issues he had such as itchy skin etc. and are ashamed to say a lot of them were probably down to the cr@p we were unknowingly feeding him)

Over the last few years we've learned a lot about the nasties in modern dog "food" etc. (I wouldn't feed anything from Purina if you paid me - the sh!te they put in dog feed is horrendous!) but something else we've become aware of the last couple of years is the potential consequences of vaccinations/treatments etc.

Just 2 days ago I read another heartfelt FB post about an owner that lost their dog within days of a reaction to flea treatment (I think Nexguard in this case). Lots of stories of pets shutting down & dying after vaccination jabs etc. (I've learnt that there's a reason vets place them where they do these days - it gives a fighting chance of survival by amputation).

There are a variety of (more) natural solutions out there (OH uses Neem shampoo). I'm not saying they're as effective, but I'd feel happier that they're less damaging.

When you sit & think about it, ANYTHING you put in an animal, that can kill anything that bites it 3 months later has got to be pretty damn toxic to the host animal wouldn't you think?

(She just shouted over my shoulder "Diatomaceous earth" around skirting edges is also a good natural remedy, and that rose geranium oil dabbed on the collar works well).

I can say that we haven't been aware of any fleas on him for the last 2 years EXCEPT one bugger we saw on him a few weeks ago whilst away in the caravan. I managed to get & kill it, he was then swiftly taken out for an impromptu bath with Neem shampoo! Nothing more since.

Oh, & this comes from someone with an intense hatred of fleas, given that after my OH moved in with her dog & two cats years ago, they (the animals!) woke up a wave of dormant fleas like you wouldn't believe & we ended up throwing out all of the (thankfully old/knackered anyway) downstairs carpets!

Just an observation...
I know someone who only uses homeopathic wormers for her horses and dog, I was more than a little dubious but she's had checks done regularly (I think they analyse poo samples but I'm not sure) and they are all clear of worms.
Daily poo picking in the paddocks helps as well to prevent re infection.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
peejay

Post by peejay »

Yes, the OH has his lordships poop checked regularly (worm count) and would only treat if required. Also does a "titre test" <sp?> to cover vaccination needs.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

peejay wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:59 pm I can't offer a perfect solution but I can suggest a warning. In our household our dog is the OH's "baby" so she makes a point of doing everything positive for him that he can, e.g. raw fed etc. (We realised after we lost our last dog 7yrs ago how many issues he had such as itchy skin etc. and are ashamed to say a lot of them were probably down to the cr@p we were unknowingly feeding him)

Over the last few years we've learned a lot about the nasties in modern dog "food" etc. (I wouldn't feed anything from Purina if you paid me - the sh!te they put in dog feed is horrendous!) but something else we've become aware of the last couple of years is the potential consequences of vaccinations/treatments etc.

Just 2 days ago I read another heartfelt FB post about an owner that lost their dog within days of a reaction to flea treatment (I think Nexguard in this case). Lots of stories of pets shutting down & dying after vaccination jabs etc. (I've learnt that there's a reason vets place them where they do these days - it gives a fighting chance of survival by amputation).

There are a variety of (more) natural solutions out there (OH uses Neem shampoo). I'm not saying they're as effective, but I'd feel happier that they're less damaging.

When you sit & think about it, ANYTHING you put in an animal, that can kill anything that bites it 3 months later has got to be pretty damn toxic to the host animal wouldn't you think?

(She just shouted over my shoulder "Diatomaceous earth" around skirting edges is also a good natural remedy, and that rose geranium oil dabbed on the collar works well).

I can say that we haven't been aware of any fleas on him for the last 2 years EXCEPT one bugger we saw on him a few weeks ago whilst away in the caravan. I managed to get & kill it, he was then swiftly taken out for an impromptu bath with Neem shampoo! Nothing more since.

Oh, & this comes from someone with an intense hatred of fleas, given that after my OH moved in with her dog & two cats years ago, they (the animals!) woke up a wave of dormant fleas like you wouldn't believe & we ended up throwing out all of the (thankfully old/knackered anyway) downstairs carpets!

Just an observation...
If you stick to what the vet recommends and not go 'off piste' (as I know some people do) then you can't go far wrong.

Anything by Bob Martin should be avoided at all costs. Vile stuff. :evil:
peejay

Post by peejay »

If you stick to what the vet recommends and not go 'off piste' (as I know some people do) then you can't go far wrong.

This is where I'll strongly disagree. Not with everything they say, of course they're highly trained individuals (hopefully at least!) but numerous vets disagree with raw feeding & will happily flog you whatever pet food they have an agreement with these days. I've seen many cases where vets give highly questionable "advice", insisting on vaccinations without even knowing if the dog actually needs them is one of them. e.g. why routinely give a dog wormers if it doesn't have worms?

I've certainly had my eyes opened in the last few years...

One (of many) examples below (sorry for using DM it was just one of the first links)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ghurt.html
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

peejay wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm

This is where I'll strongly disagree. Not with everything they say, of course they're highly trained individuals (hopefully at least!) but numerous vets disagree with raw feeding & will happily flog you whatever pet food they have an agreement with these days. I've seen many cases where vets give highly questionable "advice", insisting on vaccinations without even knowing if the dog actually needs them is one of them. e.g. why routinely give a dog wormers if it doesn't have worms?

I've certainly had my eyes opened in the last few years...

One (of many) examples below (sorry for using DM it was just one of the first links)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ghurt.html
We'll have to agree to disagree then.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Trust me, the chemistry works! Dogs been nuked, and the house. Forget ‘ alternative remedies ‘, They do not work
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.