Pain

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

Pain

Post by jansman »

I have been in a right old mess this week.I had a bit of a twinge in my back,which is not unusual for me! However,on Tuesday morning that twinge went hostile and completely floored me.I locked up and was in the worst pain I can remember.Long story short,couldn't get a GP appointment - surprise,surprise, so Mrs J ran me through to A+E.It took two nurses to get me out of the car and into a wheelchair.I was literally in tears,and told the nurse, " I want to die,or get better. "

Saw a doctor,and he ruled out serious problems,thank heavens.He prescribed an Uber painkiller cocktail and I am now mobile again.I have done some gentle exercise,as prescribed by my own GP a couple of years ago,and even though I am due more medication,I am virtually pain free at the moment.My problem is far from unique,as many suffer these problems.

My point is this: Given that a doctor's appointment is damned near impossible to get- especially when you have to work,and cannot find time to queue on the phone for 45 minutes - do you have the means for basic pain control?

I dont work,I dont earn.Simple as that.At this point I am three days pay down.I am also down by about another £60 because of my prescriptions and hospital car parking.I am fortunate enough to be able to absorb all that,but for some it would really be SHTF.

Speaking of SHTF; if society went South and we were relying on physical hard work,like gardening,hauling water and cutting wood - a painful health issue like the above could well be a matter of life or death.Its also one reason that the 'lonewolf ' approach in a survival situation would not work.Its reckoned that the American Mountain Men only lived to an average of 35 years,simply because of the punishment their bodies took ,living a solitary and hard life.I imagine a back problem for one of them would have been catastrophic.I know that I could not have managed without my wife,and I live a very comfortable life!

Anyhow,I have learned a lot this week about basic pain management,and I will make sure that we have the means for pain control of basic problems like backs and joints,as it always presents itself at the weekend,or a bank holiday,or you cannot get a GP appointment.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
featherstick

Re: Pain

Post by featherstick »

Sorry to hear about this Jansman.

We are all having to take more responsibility for our health and wellbeing in an austerity environment. Luckily I am pretty healthy and my family in general is healthy and long-lived but I am now at the age when I might get a funny result back from the doctor.

I used to be superfit - 15 mile runs, 100 mile cycle rides, but study, commuting, and kids have all got in the way and I'm a lot heavier than I used to be.

I've made a couple of changes recently which have helped - going low-carb, high-fat has helped with a bit of weight loss, more energy, and all my little bits of dermatitis clearing up. I've also started using a workout app and a couple of times a day I push off and do 10 mins circuit training. This has helped with back pain and improved general functionality.

I hope you get better soon Jansman and are back to full fettle soon.
korolev

Post by korolev »

You have my sympathies. A few years ago I pulled some ligaments in my back shifting dome diving cylinders and I was laid up in bed for 3 weeks. With pills I could lie still and be virtually pain-free but any movement was agony; visits to the toilet took about an hour of planning/preparation. Without the Mrs looking after me I don't know what I'd have done. fortunately, being a wage-slave to a big corporation means I get paid if I'm ill so no big money worries there.

Hope you get better soon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry to hear how bad it got, jansman. I was self employed for a long time, 25 years or so, and that "don't work = don't earn" thing meant that when the Chronic Fatigue started to bite, I carried on working - and went to bed in between. Eventually I realised it would be better to stop and just take the financial hit, rather than having my life consisting of seeing clients and lying in bed. Its taken two years, but I'm an awful lot better now. Thats a slight tangent, because it wasn't pain as such, but it *does* line up with your point about not being a lone wolf. My family, my colleague (a sole trader I worked in tandem with) and supermarket deliveries (seriously) ensured that I could cope and then get better.

Not wanting to be too political, but it does seem as if there's much less help available these days - medically, socially, everything. Together with possible temporary supply issues caused/threatened by Brexit, I'll be reviewing stocks next week. Generally not too bad, I updated at the beginning of March, but I want to check again.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think at some point in most folks' lives,there is an episode like mine.The doctor told me that mine is more than likely just age- related wear and tear .

Well,whatever it is,it happened.Right now I am 24 hours drug- free,and relatively pain- free,but by crikey,it has been debilatating.

As Arzosah pointed out,there is a lot less help these days,for whatever reasons,so self- help is going to be more common.I have put together a ' bad -back- pain- relief- pack' for when it happens again.And it will. That consists of the remainder of my prescriptions,all good for two more years,extra OTC strong painkillers,self heating pads and a brand new hot water bottle! The bottle really helped,and so low-tech. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Sorry to hear about your back Jansman. Hope you get well soon. Can you say what meds you got for your prescription? Thanks
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
hobo

Post by hobo »

jansman wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:19 pm That consists of the remainder of my prescriptions,all good for two more years,extra OTC strong painkillers,self heating pads and a brand new hot water bottle! The bottle really helped,and so low-tech. :D
Ouch! I tried morphine, codeine and ice packs last year when my back went. Only have para/codeine 500/30 left in the medicine cabinet now. Sitting/bending/lifting mindfully and a visit to my chiropractor every 3 months has done the trick since then.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stonecarver wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:26 pm Sorry to hear about your back Jansman. Hope you get well soon. Can you say what meds you got for your prescription? Thanks
Oh yes! A right old chemical cocktail.Diazepam,Codeine,Naproxen and Paracetamol - big sods didnt know if to swallow 'em or stick 'em up...won't go there! :lol: Oh yes,and some gear to line my stomach so it did not all eat it's way out like Alien out of John Hurt! :lol: Once the real pain subsidised I used the exercises my GP gave me too.

Anyhow,I am going to attempt a day at work,so I can feel worthwhile and valued by society again.I am bored.Dont think I will ever fully retire!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We maybe can't self moderate mate, done it for you.

As for the never retiring, I think that comes down to the individual, I've got mates (and a wife) like you who can't be sat doing nothing. Me, not so much, my problem is getting off my arse and doing things. ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have been going bonkers Deeps! I like to fish, as you know, but only so much. I am going in tomorrow, but the whole team ( via social media) have told me to take it easy, as I am a bit ‘Blitzkreig’ when it comes to shifting stuff. The body and mind needs work.

Robert Frost.

Me.