https://email.sja.org.uk/sjalz//WebCapt ... x?pID=5066
featherstick

Re: Baby First Aid

Post by featherstick »

Thank you, ordered.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ended up putting pediatric first aid into practice last night in Tesco my little man (15 months) was choking on his free fruit (apple) half way round the store. ....

Took 5 firm back blows to dislodge it, the looks a few gave me whilst I was "in action" was that i shouldn't have been beating my baby...

I'm half expecting a visit from social services

Had to laugh later that night when I wound down and realised that dispite me ripping him from the trolley Laying him on my forearm beating him 5 times.... Him screaming the shop down (due to him after the apple that came out of his mouth which landed on the floor). He was still chomping on the rest as I put him in his car seat ( I binned it before driving off) he hadn't dropped it or let it go at all....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:50 pm Ended up putting pediatric first aid into practice last night.
Nicely Done Dad.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:50 pm Ended up putting pediatric first aid into practice last night in Tesco my little man (15 months) was choking on his free fruit (apple) half way round the store. ....

It's bloody heart-stopping when it happens, isn't it? And you have to thump so hard... Well done you.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Wow, Andy, well done you, that sounds horrible.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

When Mrs Andy was carrying little man I did my 2 day 3 yearly rqf for first aid at work as luck would have it there were about 8 teachers on the course who were on there for the legal obligations for care of staff (others did the pediatric part on another course)

After our last test the trainer offered a free hour add on and blitzed the pediatric basics he was supprised I stayed and told me I could go if I wanted to so explained why I was stopping

So I did it

Then just after mini me was born the local child activity center advertised a free kids first aid class I dragged grandmas and grandads along with me and Mrs Andy turns out they had hired in the same firm I did the work course with and same chap run it ...guess who kept getting called up as a victim..... :evil:

Anyway it just becomes auto pilot if you have been shown ... I'm one of those people who seem to detach from emotion and crack on to do the job

Had a incident at work where I called on my fire fighting training by the time another staff member had fumbled to pull the pin on a extinguisher id picked another up and had the fire out.... Totally mechanical mind set I got quizzed by a young staff member as to how I was so quick ... Training and experience wins everytime
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I think that this should be a mandatory course for every parent to be and for each pregnancy as a refresher. My eldest was about 8 and choked on a boiled sweet, I did what I needed to on auto-pilot and boy was that scary, didn't help that my son was also there screaming that she was going to die. Not too long ago I had a client at work who walked into the office without knocking, pointed at his throat. I leaned him over and thumped him on the back several times before a piece of chicken flew out of his mouth. He apologised for the mess on the floor, I apologised in case I had hurt his back and promptly wrote up a whole set of notes in case he had bruises on his back and complained the next day.
Growing old disgracefully!
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

I'm due to have a refresh course anytime for work. I also did the baby course with the local children's centre. I agree it should be more easy and people felt that they should do a baby first aid when having children.