Prepping for everything but a heart attack

Medical and Healthcare
Massive War monkey

Prepping for everything but a heart attack

Post by Massive War monkey »

Cant help noticing how on the forums /youtubers/ gatherings i see Uk preppers seem to be prepping for everything but a heart attack /type 2 diabetes .
I think this is a seriously neglected area of prepping..its all very well having 20 years worth of pot noodles and baked beans but if your bodies trashed from a crap diet and lack of exercise you wont fare too well in a post SHTF post NHS world !
For years i neglected this myself until i woke up an realised the biggest threat to me and the family was not a nuclear apocalypse but me ending up like my old man dropping dead of a heart attack in my 50's...this could have devastating consequences for the mrs and my two little ones not just emotionally but financially so i took it upon myself to start tranining.
I joined a budget gym..which isnt even necessary but a bit more of a hobby . My training consists of a bit of light cardio.. roughly 1 mile on the treadmill at jogging pace 6 times a week / and the rest general strength training with weights.Its made a huge difference to me both pyhsically and mentally ..im slowly increasing the intensity week by week and cant recommed it enough to everyone..
Intresting to hear other peoples opinions / routines
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Prepping for everything but a heart attack

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I go to work manual work keeps me fit ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Never knew I had both on the cards.

However, the medication for one (Blood pressure) affects the other (diabetes) and the Drs are more worried about the BP and the Diabetic Nurses more worried about the Diabetes.

Both want me to eat the "NHS Eatwell Plate" and that'll kill me quicker than 20 B&H and a Full English..... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

pseudonym wrote:Never knew I had both on the cards.

However, the medication for one (Blood pressure) affects the other (diabetes) and the Drs are more worried about the BP and the Diabetic Nurses more worried about the Diabetes.

Both want me to eat the "NHS Eatwell Plate" and that'll kill me quicker than 20 B&H and a Full English..... :mrgreen:
Weight is the main problem for both, and diet is the main factor; but it's down to the individual to find what woks for them. Research, research, research.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am with Yorkshire Andy.Manual work cuts it.When your day starts with unloading a truck by hand ( 6.30 am),45x 20+ kg boxes and 10x 50kg pigs,etc. You don't feel like the gym!

My late father was a bin man.27 years walking 35 miles a day.Did not smoke or drink,and was into martial arts.He died at 59 of colon cancer.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Massive War monkey

Post by Massive War monkey »

Yea im a manual worker too been a chippy since i left school...manual labour takes its too on you in different ways my knees are suffering an my backs an issue all by the age of 35..i guess its all about mitigating the damge though.
It does seem like people make excuses to get out of it though..i love a pint as much as the next man but its that
1 can after work every night or couple of roll ups that cause the damage long term..or chowing down on a mars bar instead of a bit of fruit.
unsure

Post by unsure »

Massive War monkey wrote:Yea im a manual worker too been a chippy since i left school...manual labour takes its too on you in different ways my knees are suffering an my backs an issue all by the age of 35..i guess its all about mitigating the damge though.
It does seem like people make excuses to get out of it though..i love a pint as much as the next man but its that
1 can after work every night or couple of roll ups that cause the damage long term..or chowing down on a mars bar instead of a bit of fruit.
thats me done for them , i do like my food :lol:

not much of a drinker any more but i do smoke .
like most , i`m in a manual labour job [ mechanic ], knees and back are shot , boarder line type 2 . add to that not sleeping to well and i`m a wreck as it is .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

There's one prep we can all do really easily in case of a heart attack.

Carry aspirin. That's it, just ordinary aspirin, if you have the symptoms of a heart attack, chew one, then chase it down with water, needs to be chewed as it will get into your bloodstream faster through the lining of your mouth, it can stop a heart attack happening, and it can also lessen the damage if it does happen.

As with anything medical, I'm not a doctor, so do your own research, but here's a link to a pretty reputable website to get you going. :)
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... art-attack

Edit: that link won't show the full page, which is weird as it was showing the full page when I copied it, but if I Google again it shows it as the first result so I'll leave it here as a guide.

Here's another link. https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/con ... art-attack
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Jamesey1981 wrote:There's one prep we can all do really easily in case of a heart attack.

Carry aspirin. That's it, just ordinary aspirin, if you have the symptoms of a heart attack, chew one, then chase it down with water, needs to be chewed as it will get into your bloodstream faster through the lining of your mouth, it can stop a heart attack happening, and it can also lessen the damage if it does happen.

As with anything medical, I'm not a doctor, so do your own research, but here's a link to a pretty reputable website to get you going. :)
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... art-attack

Edit: that link won't show the full page, which is weird as it was showing the full page when I copied it, but if I Google again it shows it as the first result so I'll leave it here as a guide.

Here's another link. https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/con ... art-attack
A great piece of advice. We had cause to need a paramedic recently and he he mentioned keeping aspirin. For the very reasons you have mentioned above.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Not quite all!! The problem, I suspect, is that heart attacks, cancer and strokes are not nearly so sexy as knives, guns and bunkers! For me it's my No.1 reason for prepping. However I, like most people, have to confess that it's not always taking up the most of my prepping time because, well, as an office worker making time to do cardio and strength is psychologically hard, and I'm rather fond of my food and drink for comfort reasons! However, I do try to keep reminding myself that 53% of people in the West will die from heart disease, cancer or a stroke. (I don't smoke but if you add chronic respiratory disease, of which smoking is one of the leading causes, to the list then the likelihood of dying from these things go up to 58%). In real terms that means that either me or the person next to me will die from one of them, with rather more chance that it’s going to be me than them! So really I should prep for it. However if the likelihood of a nuclear explosion were 58% I'd probably be working a lot harder towards ameliorating that risk because it just is psychologically easier, and a good deal more sexy! That's life!

Oh and welcome! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb