Over focussing on the obvious Medicine supplies

Medical and Healthcare
PreppingPingu

Over focussing on the obvious Medicine supplies

Post by PreppingPingu »

It occured to me when buying something from the pharmacy the other day that I have overlooked some general meds in my preps. Meds that I have in my first aid and household medicine box but not stocked up on. I have a separate prepping box with bandages, dressing and the like in, and a lockable preps box with paracetamol, antihistamines, codine, etc in. How many of us have missed items such as indigestion remedies , glycerine sweets for a sore throat, athletes foot powder, anti fungle cream. What made me think was that I was buying some cream for a certain women's issue which while not life threatening, in a situation where you couldn't access a pharmacy, having the appropriate product would make life more bearable! Sometime we focus on the obvious such as pain relief and wound management, but forget other important stuff. This includes birth control. Anyone else noticed that in their preps?
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
unsure

Re: Over focussing on the obvious Medicine supplies

Post by unsure »

we have at the minute , stocks of pain meds ect . we do also have a good stock of stomach meds . ranatine right the way down to renne`s .
even cold and flu caps to hot lemon , bites and sting cream to thrush cream to a good supply of womens things as well .
if you know what a laycorn box is , we have 3 stocked with all sorts .
has any one else stocked soap , shampoo and deodorant or is just the wife .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

A very good point you raise here.

I did actually consider this only a few weeks ago when I needed athletes foot treatment. As a result I have added a few other items into my preps list.

I now have some-

Athletes foot powder
Canestan, for thrush and other related conditions. Have suffered this in the past and would hate to go untreated.

I did already have some indigestion tablets in the stash, but not many. Am taking a look at the medicines shelf in tescos tomorrow to see what else to cover.
Like a lot of people, I tend to focus on the usual stuff, but there are some conditions that would seriously impair your quality of life without the right cream\treatment.

Pile cream anyone?

I do have soap and deodorant, and a box load of shower gel so that's 'shampoo' covered. That's more for Mrs B though, I have the stylish shaved head and would look to keep that post shtf.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Oh, in addition.

I read here only this morning in an old old post, someone mention lice combs for possible barter. I'm getting a couple, but not for bartering.

Anyone with cats\dogs keeping a stash of flea powder?
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

This thread is quite timely, I've got a bit of athletes foot at the moment, first time in quite a while and we have some 'ready use' treatment but no stocks. Its something I'll be rectifying. Probably missing a few bits and bobs although I'm well stocked on soap, Her Maj would have to use that on her hair, I haven't used shampoo for about 30 years. Usually buy deoderant on offer so usually have a couple in but its not on my serious stocking list.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I recently did a check and upped what I stock. I think I posted a list somewhere.

What I have done is to investigate old timey remedies For instance, 1/4 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda in 1/2 glass of water is as good as any modern remedy for heartburn and indigestion.

I'm blessed that I've never suffered from fungal infections, but thinking about it, it makes sense to store some just in case.

Flea combs! Brilliant idea, on the list for next time I go to the chemist.

I have a large stock of cleaning products, mainly because I buy in bulk when stuff is on offer. I just recently stocked up on washing powder as it was half price, it should see me through to next time it's on offer!

I have a lot of soap, my thinking being it could be a good barter item it's silly cheap and doesn't go off. I also have at least a years' worth of the soap we use, Talc and shampoo. I only keep a couple of deodorants.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
IainT

Post by IainT »

Bicarbonate of soda will work well on indigestion (the bicarb) but please be aware that it'll also do a good job of giving you high blood pressure as it will contribute to your sodium intake (the soda). I wouldn't want to be taking it over a sustained period especially if I'm surviving on high salt foods like tinned meat, etc
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

IainT wrote:Bicarbonate of soda will work well on indigestion (the bicarb) but please be aware that it'll also do a good job of giving you high blood pressure as it will contribute to your sodium intake (the soda). I wouldn't want to be taking it over a sustained period especially if I'm surviving on high salt foods like tinned meat, etc
I have to take issue with that statement. It's the chemical makeup of the compound in which sodium is combined that causes the issue, not sodium itself. In the compound bicarbonate of soda the reverse is true and it generally reduces systolic blood pressure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2168457

However as usual there is evidence to support both statements so I'll add the usual caveat: Do your own research and seek medical advice if at all concerned.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Britcit wrote:Oh, in addition.

I read here only this morning in an old old post, someone mention lice combs for possible barter. I'm getting a couple, but not for bartering.

Anyone with cats\dogs keeping a stash of flea powder?
We keep meds for all the stock.Its easier to deal with animal issues immediately than wait for the vet.Problems ALWAYS occur at the weekend or on a bank holiday.So we keep flea meds,wormers,ear/eye drops and anti biotic spray.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Never underestimate the value of a tick-hook.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar