Pet First Aid

Medical and Healthcare
Jamesey1981

Pet First Aid

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Has anyone here done a course on first aid for animals?

I have done courses for humans, and I have seen courses for dogs, but I would like to do a course for cats if I can and all I can find is online ones.

I’ll do an online one if that’s all I can find, but you have no one checking what you’re doing with an online course and will never know if you’re doing it correctly.

I could probably muddle through by adapting my human training for cuts and other injuries but I wouldn’t have a clue how to give cpr to a cat!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
yorkshirewolf

Re: Pet First Aid

Post by yorkshirewolf »

There are courses for both feline and canine first aid, a quick google search will find them. For any animals CPR will depend on the size, like with a baby, they're the same sort of thing but applied slightly differently for the size.

For cuts, scrapes and scratches, usual first aid rules apply, keep it clean, keep it covered, check and change the dressing a couple of times a day, watch for any bad smells, puss, unusual colouring or raised temperatures as these indicate infection, then it's time for vet and antibiotics, but if you've done the first steps infection is rare.

Animals have a much better ability to heal and deal with pain than humans do, though some spoiled house animals will protest and be a lot more dramatic than working/feral animals!

Not sure on courses near baker street(!) but have a look here, they seem to have a good selection:

http://www.propetfirstaid.co.uk/en/lear ... s-training
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Herself has done an NVQ on animal care...... Tells me that bandaging a tail is quite difficult.

https://www.animal-job.co.uk/animal-fir ... urses.html....... First one I found
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

First aid in cats

Eermmmm

Lola the bitch ( her claws don't retract so it sounds like she is in high heels and if I get hold of her she goes ballistic)

Well about 2 months ago she was coming to me crying a strange cry to the point she sat on me shoving her head under my hand and wouldn't leave (usually she avoids me as I am the nasty flea bath man)

Stroking her I found a massive lump on her front shoulder puss was full of puss with 2 puncture wounds (snake)

She laid there whilst I squeezed prodded and poked the gunk out before flushing it out with a saline pod it went in one and out the other covering my Sunday best with horrid stinky gunk

Wipe over with tsept and a cone of shame 2 days later back to normal

I was expecting needing welding gloves and Kevlar
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Herself has done an NVQ on animal care...... Tells me that bandaging a tail is quite difficult.

https://www.animal-job.co.uk/animal-fir ... urses.html....... First one I found
Indeed they are. Half a syringe helps, as does shaving. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.