Over the counter pain killers.

Medical and Healthcare
Drcamburn

Re: Over the counter pain killers.

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Re rehydration powder, I use the WHO homemade recipe, it costs pennies instead of pounds and the ingredients are always on hand.
diy3.gif
diy3.gif (7.22 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I can't find it but there's a recipe on here for rehydratraton and as well as normal salt it has the 'lo' salt as well. I'll post it up when I find it.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12791

and here's the bit, a lot of interesting stuff in that thread.

Regarding rehydration salts, your store cupboard version of dioralyte does not need to be perfect but it needs to replenish your salts and sugars without overdoing it. The “isotonic” or naturally balanced concentration of sodium in your blood is 0.9% which is equivalent to nine grams of sodium chloride in one litre of body fluid. That is what you would get if you had intravenous fluids administered. Similarly the isotonic concentration of glucose is 5%, or 50 grams of glucose in one litre of fluid. Because you want to replace fluid volume and a BLEND of salts and sugars, I would use a rough guide of about 20 grams of sugar and 2.5 – 3 grams of table salt dissolved in one litre of purified water in order to replace lost salts in an emergency. That is for ORAL administration obviously! Dioralyte is overall a bit better because it also has potassium and a few other things in it I think.

If you wanted to be a super nerd and find a store cupboard way of supplementing lost potassium (which in itself can be dangerous in severe diarrhoeal illness) you can buy one of the low sodium salts like “Lo-Salt” which is a blend of 66% potassium chloride (KCL) and 33% sodium chloride. Dioralyte contains 0.3g KCL for 200ml reconstituted volume, so if we multiply that out we get a desired KCL load of 1.5g/l. Lo-Salt is only 66% KCL so we would put in a bit more Lo-Salt to make it up. In this scenario a reasonable emergency replacement blend of sugar/salts would be:

20 grams sugar
2.5 grams table salt
2 grams Lo-salt

All dissolved in one litre purified water and administered orally.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Home made rehydration fluid
I was going to ask about that, thanks.

OTC sleeping tablets
I use Boots Sleepeaze: work out the price per unit for yourself, I seem to remember a big difference in cost between the 25mg ones and the 50mg ones. You get a lecture every time about not using it regularly.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Regarding rehydration remedies,my friend was a nurse in some of the poorer areas of Leicester for many years.She would advise mum to let a bottle of coke ( original or generic) to go flat,and give that to junior.Why Coca Cola? Because she said that low income households always seemed to have it readily available,so no extra cost.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Regarding sleeping tablets, the strong stuff like zopiclone will be prescription only, but some antihistamines can be used as a sleep aid as they have a sedative effect, in fact some antihistamines are used as sleeping tablets and for depression; promethazine and chlorphenamine being the two I know of.

You'll have more luck buying these at a pharmacy than sleeping tablets as you can say you have bad allergies. Sleeping tablets are a bit more frowned upon...

As for hydration, I find the best stuff is the workout powder, you can buy big bags pretty cheap:

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrit ... 29892.html

Pretty good when six tiny sachets of dioralyte is £3.50...
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Another vote here for Phenergan as an OTC sleeping tablet. I was first told about it by my doctor years ago. I've recommended it to several people with sleeping problems since and most have found it really useful. It's originally sold as a travel sickness tablet, but does also have dosage listed for if used as a seditive as well. You will be asked if you've used it before!!

The other day while waiting in the pharmacy I saw a box 'Phenergan Night Time' - so I'm wondering if they have started to specifically market it for sleep as well.