Over the counter pain killers.

Medical and Healthcare
Deeps

Re: Over the counter pain killers.

Post by Deeps »

mushroom wrote:Another vote here for Phenergan as an OTC sleeping tablet. I was first told about it by my doctor years ago. I've recommended it to several people with sleeping problems since and most have found it really useful. It's originally sold as a travel sickness tablet, but does also have dosage listed for if used as a seditive as well. You will be asked if you've used it before!!

The other day while waiting in the pharmacy I saw a box 'Phenergan Night Time' - so I'm wondering if they have started to specifically market it for sleep as well.
That's a good shout, I remember the 'stugies' that the navy dished out for sea sickness would send you to sleep. I hadn't thought of them, apart from the times that I was on minesweeper I was alright.

Here's a link.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/di ... nnarizine/
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

As i was in the pharmacy this evening, I thought i'd try the availability of Promethazine (brand name Phenergan) as the last lot i got was precribed, and it is indeed available as an over the counter medicine.

I was asked if it was for me and if i'd taken it before, said i had allergies and the doctor had recommended it from a pharmacy as it's cheaper than a prescription, unfortunately it still cost me £8.00 for a box but less than the £8.60 for a prescription!
I'm sure if you shop around it'd be less.

So a strong antihistamine that doubles as a sleep aid, in the spirit of 'things that have multiple uses' definitely one for the medical box!

:D
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

yorkshirewolf wrote:As i was in the pharmacy this evening, I thought i'd try the availability of Promethazine (brand name Phenergan) as the last lot i got was precribed, and it is indeed available as an over the counter medicine.

I was asked if it was for me and if i'd taken it before, said i had allergies and the doctor had recommended it from a pharmacy as it's cheaper than a prescription, unfortunately it still cost me £8.00 for a box but less than the £8.60 for a prescription!
I'm sure if you shop around it'd be less.

So a strong antihistamine that doubles as a sleep aid, in the spirit of 'things that have multiple uses' definitely one for the medical box!

:D
Noted
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk

Thats where i do all my meds shopping. Cheapest i have found so far, used for a few years
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Cheers PP, I've bookmarked it for a nose later.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Drcamburn wrote:And on the lecture, I can assure you the person selling the medications wants to lecture you about as much as you want to hear the lecture. It is occasionally useful though so we have to stick with it.
I'm aware its a legal obligation on their part. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Ah Phenergan...that must have been the travel sickness drug I took as a teenager! I was on a school trip and we were to go out sea fishing. The sea was quite...lumpy...and I don't do motion sickness that well. So I popped into a chemist and bought some over the counter travel sickness tablets (don't recall being asked any questions at the time) which I duly swallowed. With an ice cream I seem to recall... As it happened the fishing trip got called off because the sea was deemed too lumpy even for non-sick people! So we walked along the beach back to the camp site. As I walked my head got heavier and heavier....and heavier...and heavier...finally we got back to the camp site and I crawled into the tent and went to sleep. 5 hours later a teacher was shaking me awake looking very concerned. I had missed tea (an unheard of event...I do like me some grub!) which included not waking up when the the meal bugle was being played right outside my tent! I had not woken when my school mates had clambered over me to get to the grub. I had not woken up when the evening games and frivolity had commenced outside my tent. I was out cold! I have often thought of it since!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb