Cream for burns?

Medical and Healthcare
preparedsurrey

Cream for burns?

Post by preparedsurrey »

I need to pick the collective memories here.
About 30 years ago I happened to pick up a piece of metal that had just been cut with a welding torch, needless to say I dropped it instantly and my hand went into a bucket of water, in the meantime my dad produced a tube of cream that he had been given years before that when being taught to weld, it was a white or yellow colour when applied but had an instant chilling effect - almost like ice being applied. It completely took the pain away and although I blistered thinking back it was nowhere near what I would have expected now.

Any ideas what it might have been?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
unsure

Re: Cream for burns?

Post by unsure »

i do recall my dad having a tube of ,, acriflex.. that was burns cream and had a yellowish colour to it .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

http://www.acriflex.co.uk

There are a range of burns dressings on the market now using a hydro gel which in the absence of water can be used directly onto a burn

https://m.firstaid4less.co.uk/?ar=1&ccv ... l-Dressing

https://www.medisave.co.uk/burns-gel-sa ... 02040.html

I've got both duck taped to my mig welder :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I’ve used some of the hydrogels and they’re very good, I personally prefer the sprays as you don’t actually have to touch the burn but either works, just FYI if you try a spray, some of them fizz when they go on, doesn’t hurt but can freak people out!

For further treatment after you’ve dealt with the burn initially sudocrem works really well to speed up healing time and reduce the scarring, very deep burns are best looked at by a doc if you can though, they get infected easily if you accidentally pop the blister.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Probably singing to the choir here for most but clingfilm is also good for burns after you've dealt with the initial incident.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm told the important bit about burns is .

"The ones that hurt are not as bad as the ones that don't."

Perhaps one of our Medics would explain why?
My information could be wrong and I don't want to be the source of another 'Net-Myth
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:I'm told the important bit about burns is .

"The ones that hurt are not as bad as the ones that don't."

Perhaps one of our Medics would explain why?
My information could be wrong and I don't want to be the source of another 'Net-Myth
I’m not a medic but I can answer that as I’ve had more burns than most after my time in the catering industry!

The ones that don’t hurt have gone deep enough to damage or destroy the nerves, that’s deep, and a problem.

The ones that hurt are shallower, but still need careful treatment as they can still be fairly deep and any burns that blister are very prone to infection.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IMG_20180110_213115687.jpg

If anyone is looking for a good first aid reference book :

IMG_20180110_213323885.jpg
IMG_20180110_213334340.jpg
Also covers tourniquets / celox / children / babies
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

I've had third degree burns to the palm of my left hand resulting in a skin graf and heavy scarring. Spent months to and from Morristown hospital, Swansea for it.

If you have a burn that looks worse than sunburn get it looked at at least, if looks bad but doesn't hurt, go to hospital.

Any burns involving the face, throat, mouth, nose, eyes, hands, feet or genitals, go to hospital or call 999.

Any burns on babies or children, go to hospital. If it's any if the parts of the body named above call 999.

Any burn over 1% in size (the palm of the casualties hand) go to hospital.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

For treatment, cool clear water for as long as possible. Not cold, you may shock them.

Remove tight clothes or jewellery, if safe to do so (IE not melted in).

Apply water gel and/or water gel dressing, if you have it, know how to use them. If not a clean , non woven dressing, can be damp if needed.

Cling film is good for deeper burns as the nerve endings are exposed, meaning even the wind blowing can excite them making it hurt. Make sure it's clean or sterile.

Don't burst blisters at all, let the Doc do that in an aseptic environment.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.