First Aid Training

Medical and Healthcare
ParamedicPrepper

First Aid Training

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Evening all

I was talking to a colleague the other day about first aid training. It appears that different providers generally give different 'levels' of information and training. The question is what first aid skills do you have and what would you like more of? It is very hard to be taught something in a class room environment and then apply it in the real world. I know most preppers would have more knowledge than the average person when it comes to first aid but what extra do you need to feel comfortable administering the first aid you have learnt.

It would be nice to find a course that offers some hands on learning in a dirty muddy field with some mock ups that are a bit more realistic and engaging. I cant find any online that are reasonably priced and look helpful and engaging.

Any thoughts?
Yorkshire Andy

Re: First Aid Training

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jaw lift for when it's unfeasible to put the pt into the recovery position to maintain vtge airway

It got mentioned but never taught it as "it's not in the course"
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ParamedicPrepper

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Jaw lift for when it's unfeasible to put the pt into the recovery position to maintain vtge airway

It got mentioned but never taught it as "it's not in the course"
Jaw lift or jaw thrust is good at maintaining a 'clean' airway and enables the tongue to be lifted out of the way whilst keeping the patient o n their back in neutral alignment. It will almost always work on a 'snorry' airway in my experience but can give a bit of a crunch and feel like your hurting the patient.

But basically kneel above the patient almost with their head between your knees looking down the body to the feet. Place your palms on their cheeks. Find the angle of the jaw, basically the bone in line with the back of the ears. Tilt that bone forward pushing the bottom jaw up towards the ceiling. If your doing it right the airway stops snoring and your fingers very quickly hurt/strain holding the jaw out.

Obviously this will only work on a 'snorry' airway in an unconscious patient. Gurggly airway has to go on its side whilst trying to maintain a log roll if you can, as fluid will kill them. Life before limb and all that

Hard to explain but not hard to get the hang of
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

As debated before on here, I'd love to see first aid training taught at school and regular refreshers available for free at 'night school' or wherever. I'd be keen to learn more myself but I'm not willing to pay silly money for it. I've been in and out of date at level 2 many times over the years and while I think I have a reasonable grasp of what's important, I'm rusty and as I'm out of date so not insured which would potentially be my big fear.
ParamedicPrepper

insurance or liability is an interesting one isn't it! Doing your best for someone but fear of being sued for doing so. Its few and far between I'm sure but still a worry. Easier to have nothing to do with it unless its close friends or family needing help I suppose
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:insurance or liability is an interesting one isn't it! Doing your best for someone but fear of being sued for doing so. Its few and far between I'm sure but still a worry. Easier to have nothing to do with it unless its close friends or family needing help I suppose
If there are other people around I suppose you could put it out there that you're out of date and would the injured party like your help (assuming they were conscious) but it all gets a bit complicated and perhaps unrealistic.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:Evening all

I was talking to a colleague the other day about first aid training. It appears that different providers generally give different 'levels' of information and training. The question is what first aid skills do you have and what would you like more of? It is very hard to be taught something in a class room environment and then apply it in the real world. I know most preppers would have more knowledge than the average person when it comes to first aid but what extra do you need to feel comfortable administering the first aid you have learnt.

It would be nice to find a course that offers some hands on learning in a dirty muddy field with some mock ups that are a bit more realistic and engaging. I cant find any online that are reasonably priced and look helpful and engaging.

Any thoughts?
I'm lucky enough to have done both combat medical course and civilian courses (also a qualified ambulance driver) The military course includes the muddy field muliti casualty bit, as well as hospital attachment.
Something I did find really good was while working with the Royal Navy they offered me the chance to be the medic on one of their official damage control exercise (or whatever it's called) So i'm in pitch dark with muliti casualities and blokes patching holes and fitting jacks and wedges and all sorts of navy stuff going on around me on a rolling flooding thing. Fantastic training because it's not only the added realism but it's out of my normal working enviroment so to speak.
I'd love to do it again now.
One slight problem though after leaving the army I find out I'm listed as a Royal navy reserve medic as well as army reserve. Nobody seems to know why or how that happened, I've never been a member of the RN but I have been on a few ships and subs. Best guess is after the damage control thing somebody ticked a box saying I passed something or other and it got put on a computer.
Still a plus is if I ever got called back up maybe I'd get a choice..... Mmmm pink gin v dodgy tea.. ;)
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

I will be doing "disaster days" in the new year and not charging the earth for it.
As part of my BEAT bystander emergency aid training courses which I started running FREE of charge after Grenfell and the terror attacks in london and manchester, I realised that training was good but actual simulation of incidents in a field/building/subway with smoke, darkness, noise and more importantly casualties who scream and interact is vital.
I will be running quite a few of the days in cheshire throughout 2018, costs will be to cover running expenses but not hundreds of pounds like some charge. stay tuned for dates- looking at potentially 4 days.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

I've recently joined Lowlands search and rescue. They are young their first aid training to First Person on Scene. Myself and another Paramedic will be covering BLS/ILS, Trauma assessment and basic management, use of gases and selective medical problems. This kind of training will be standard for other SAR so along with other skills like Nav, Comms and also getting fit.

I know this was mentioned in a post several years back but wanted to let people this would be a good way of getting free training as well as doing some good.
ParamedicPrepper

medicmark wrote:I will be doing "disaster days" in the new year and not charging the earth for it.
As part of my BEAT bystander emergency aid training courses which I started running FREE of charge after Grenfell and the terror attacks in london and manchester, I realised that training was good but actual simulation of incidents in a field/building/subway with smoke, darkness, noise and more importantly casualties who scream and interact is vital.
I will be running quite a few of the days in cheshire throughout 2018, costs will be to cover running expenses but not hundreds of pounds like some charge. stay tuned for dates- looking at potentially 4 days.
That sounds amazing. How do u manage to set stuff like that up? Must be a logistical nightmare