Antibiotics

Medical and Healthcare
JonoMathew

Antibiotics

Post by JonoMathew »

Hi all. I am new on here so you will have to bear with me.

Does anyone here know where you can get antibiotics without the need for a prescription? I have been told you can buy prescription medication online but the idea scares the sh*t out of me. The other suggestion made to me was that some pet treatments are essentially the same as human medication such as fish antibiotics. Does anyone know anything about this and would it be the same? Thanks for your help. Jono
JBird

Re: Antibiotics

Post by JBird »

I've heard things regarding fish antibiotics.. being the same, but lower quality. Although never tried it! Would be interesting what others think?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Personally, I would not entertain either option.If a doctor prescribed me a drug for an illness, all well and good.If the Veterinarian prescribed my dog a drug,then the dog takes it.Not me.

I read recently of a phenomenon that doctors call "Technocondria"; that is internet self - prescription.A dodgy game.

Of course,accept the worth of my opinion for what you paid.Its your body and your funeral.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Hi Jono,

Antibiotics are the least of your worries if you can not get them on prescription.

For antibiotics to work they need to be targeted, this takes a complex test (for complex read expensive) to identify the correct antibiotic for the infection, so, unless you have something life threatening, the test will not be done. Most of the time antibiotics are dispensed by doctors to ward off any secondary infection.

I suggest you have a talk to your doctor. Explain your thoughts, although they may think you are a bit nuts they should be able to advise you about what to stock up on without having to break the law.

You could make a list of antibiotic trade names in case you need to find them post SHTF but remember to list not only the human medical names but the veterinarian names as post SHTF the hospitals may be empty and vet may be the only place left.

A good stock of painkillers may be a better option. An infection will clear up in a week or two (or not), painkillers will stop someone going into shock while they fight off the infection. If they are not going to recover at least you can make their last days comfortable.
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
JonoMathew

Post by JonoMathew »

oldman wrote:Hi Jono,

Antibiotics are the least of your worries if you can not get them on prescription.

For antibiotics to work they need to be targeted, this takes a complex test (for complex read expensive) to identify the correct antibiotic for the infection, so, unless you have something life threatening, the test will not be done. Most of the time antibiotics are dispensed by doctors to ward off any secondary infection.

I suggest you have a talk to your doctor. Explain your thoughts, although they may think you are a bit nuts they should be able to advise you about what to stock up on without having to break the law.

You could make a list of antibiotic trade names in case you need to find them post SHTF but remember to list not only the human medical names but the veterinarian names as post SHTF the hospitals may be empty and vet may be the only place left.

A good stock of painkillers may be a better option. An infection will clear up in a week or two (or not), painkillers will stop someone going into shock while they fight off the infection. If they are not going to recover at least you can make their last days comfortable.
Thanks, that makes sense. I know things like amoxicillin is used for chest infections but past that I don't know.

I have a large selection of painkillers such as paracetamol, ibruprofen and asprin. Is it worth stockpiling co-codamol or any others? What other medications would you stock pile? Thanks again
JonoMathew

Post by JonoMathew »

Found this which looks helpful - might be of use to others - https://www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics.html
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

As well as the pills its handy to have other first aid gear. There are guys who post on here who do this stuff for a living, have a look at some of those threads, loads of knowledge. Don't be seduced by youtube vids from America, what works in one place might not work in another.
JonoMathew

Post by JonoMathew »

Deeps wrote:As well as the pills its handy to have other first aid gear. There are guys who post on here who do this stuff for a living, have a look at some of those threads, loads of knowledge. Don't be seduced by youtube vids from America, what works in one place might not work in another.
Thanks Deeps
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Deeps wrote:As well as the pills its handy to have other first aid gear. There are guys who post on here who do this stuff for a living, have a look at some of those threads, loads of knowledge. Don't be seduced by youtube vids from America, what works in one place might not work in another.
Just reread my earlier post, it wasn't intended as being nippy so sorry if it came across that way, I was on my phone and tend to keep it simple with my sausage fingers. We have guys on here who are medical professionals and who've gone into great detail (thanks guys) so worth a look, definitely worth a nose mate.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

JonoMathew wrote:.....

I have a large selection of painkillers such as paracetamol, ibruprofen and asprin. Is it worth stockpiling co-codamol or any others? What other medications would you stock pile? Thanks again
I keep quite a few paracetamol, ibuprofen and aspirin as you do. I do also keep a fair number of boxes of cocodamol, but not so many because it raises a few eyebrows at the chemist if your seen buying to often. I can't spread the purchases around as there not many places here that keep them.

I do have quite a few of the 'extra strength' painkillers that are paracetamol\asprin\caffeine.

I look at it this way.

Paracetamol are so\so as a painkiller but can help with a fever.
Ibuprofen also for pain as an antiinflammatory.
I keep aspirin as I take low doses each day. Not prescribed but I've had a lot of relatives have heart attacks so its what I choose to do.
Extra strength painkillers for back ups to my main painkiller, and I find them more useful in case of bad headaches and the like.
I keep cocodamol in my stocks as a more potent painkiller, and as my wife can't stomach tramadol.
I have a stash of tramadol (prescribed), which I build up stocks slowly in case tshtf.
For major problems, in an emergency I have morphine. Leftovers from when I last collapsed with chronic back pain.

Cold and flu capsules, anti diarrhea pills, anti histamines all form part of my stocks. It could be a never ending shopping list, but don't get to bogged down on it. Balance your preps, pick up a little here and a little there and the pile soon builds up.

I know opinion here is a little divided on the topic of anti biotics. I fall on the side of the fence that is pro keeping some. I do want to get some amoxicillin as my wife is prone to chest infections, and has even had this develop into pneumonia twice. As that's what finally killed off my dad I'd rather get some so if shtf the missus would have a little safety net.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."