Antibiotics

Medical and Healthcare
dazthechippy

Re: Antibiotics

Post by dazthechippy »

really good info here, i'm ratcheting up my preps at the moment on medical.

every time one of the family gets prescribed something I keep the labels or write down what it was for so I know (for some reason I see a scenario where I'd have to be rummaging through the shelves of an already looted pharmacy for what I need) - not ideal but thats how I think of it.

same for inhalers, I've printed off a chart from the web of inhalers, what they do, colour they are and all that - so i know what to look out for, being 100% daft but just makes me feel better.

in reality if the family have got something they've not had before and have not been prescribed something for it I wouldn't know what to look for...

good prepping to you all !!
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

you can also buy colloidal silver solution on amazon relatively inexpensively. I don't trust home made as you can never tell how ultra pure the distilled water is.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I have a friend who uses the site linked to here.
https://www.unitedpharmacies-uk.md/sear ... apsules%29

I think I'd feel ok purchasing from them. He has a few times. No need to give them credit card number, though you send money by wire transfer in advance.

I'd also suggest getting something like diarolyte ( boots own brand is cheaper ) and immodium for the poops.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

oldman wrote:A good stock of painkillers may be a better option. An infection will clear up in a week or two (or not), painkillers will stop someone going into shock while they fight off the infection. If they are not going to recover at least you can make their last days comfortable.
Yes if you are in a real global/ country wide SHtF situation, then yes as someone said antibiotics need to be targeted to the correct illness and its is unlikely that you will have the means or knowledge to do this. If the situation was so bad that you couldn't get to a medical practitioner, then many people would likely to die off from ongoing medical conditions and from simple infections like a dirty cut or wound that can become systemic, especially if your immune system is now compromised due to poor diet/stress induced by the SHtf. If you have ever read "One Second After" by William Forstchen, that really does deal with the medical issues that arise quite well from a mass SHtF situation, including lack of antibiotics. Basically keeping clean and pain managed are what I feel are the main priorities. Though - having said that, I have almost 2 weeks worth of Erythromycin kept just in case ;) It was left over from a family member who couldn't tolerate it so the doc changed her meds so I "tidied away" the old one into my lockable prepping meds box!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

PreppingPingu wrote:
oldman wrote:A good stock of painkillers may be a better option. An infection will clear up in a week or two (or not), painkillers will stop someone going into shock while they fight off the infection. If they are not going to recover at least you can make their last days comfortable.
Yes if you are in a real global/ country wide SHtF situation, then yes as someone said antibiotics need to be targeted to the correct illness and its is unlikely that you will have the means or knowledge to do this. If the situation was so bad that you couldn't get to a medical practitioner, then many people would likely to die off from ongoing medical conditions and from simple infections like a dirty cut or wound that can become systemic, especially if your immune system is now compromised due to poor diet/stress induced by the SHtf. If you have ever read "One Second After" by William Forstchen, that really does deal with the medical issues that arise quite well from a mass SHtF situation, including lack of antibiotics. Basically keeping clean and pain managed are what I feel are the main priorities. Though - having said that, I have almost 2 weeks worth of Erythromycin kept just in case ;) It was left over from a family member who couldn't tolerate it so the doc changed her meds so I "tidied away" the old one into my lockable prepping meds box!

You make a fair point but at what point do you take those antibiotics?
Erythromycin may be great for tonsillitis but say you cut yourself and clean it up then take abx as prophylactic cover. Now you have none left.
So instead you clean it up and hold off the abx. Now it gets smelly and angry and you develop a fever. Are the erythromycin going to work now? It’s systemic and possibly developing sepsis - you now need aggressive IV management.

I’m not trying to be awkward in my response and I would stock up on whatever I could and probably try oral abx if needed in SHTF situation but there is a massive emphasis on how abx are not working anymore and it’s because of overuse. I would find a medical type friend and stick by them as most will have a little stash of goodies somewhere and a bit of knowledge to go with it, even if they’re not peepers
unsure

Post by unsure »

Erythromycin is about the only thing i know i`m safe with . looks like i`d be in trouble if i need any thing else . :|
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

with antibiotic resistance on the rise its highly likely none of them will work in the future.
as other health professionals have said, if you get the wrong antibiotic you could die- either through it not working and then you build a resistance to it or worst case you get anaphylaxis, I cant take the majority of antibiotics due to my illness so I need to be really really unwell before taking them. again if I am that unwell for example sepsis I need intravenous any way, and whilst I can administer i.v. abx would not try if I was that ill. remember keep your preps simple and effective, above all know what to do or not do with them, better still get a medic as a buddy :)