First Aid course recommendation

Medical and Healthcare
peejay

First Aid course recommendation

Post by peejay »

I must confess that I know very little on the FA side of things and it strikes me as being a useful thing to learn about but I'm not sure of the best type of course to go for.

I did a quick search recently and there seemed to be variety of types available, e.g. "First Aid at work" and "Emergency First Aid at work" but not much info on the differences. It looks like work-related courses carry a price premium as well, presumably on the basis that a company is expected to pay for it.

So, what's the best way to start on such a learning exercise?
Deeps

Re: First Aid course recommendation

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote:I must confess that I know very little on the FA side of things and it strikes me as being a useful thing to learn about but I'm not sure of the best type of course to go for.

I did a quick search recently and there seemed to be variety of types available, e.g. "First Aid at work" and "Emergency First Aid at work" but not much info on the differences. It looks like work-related courses carry a price premium as well, presumably on the basis that a company is expected to pay for it.

So, what's the best way to start on such a learning exercise?
I'm looking forward to the answers from those better qualified than myself and we have a fair few on here, I've been in and out of date on first aid over the years, I've been surprised that there have been changes as time goes on so it's not an exact science. You're right that it seems to be targeted at a corporate market though, at least the courses I've looked at for refreshers, I could spend the money on better things.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

St John Ambulance do a range of courses for the general public with prices starting @£30 inc VAT. I keep meaning to book one, but still haven't :oops:
https://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-cou ... ublic.aspx
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:St John Ambulance do a range of courses for the general public with prices starting @£30 inc VAT. I keep meaning to book one, but still haven't :oops:
https://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-cou ... ublic.aspx
Cheers, I'll check that out.
Mad Medic

Post by Mad Medic »

Did 20+ years in SJA so would suggest looking at these courses http://www.remoteemergencycare.com as being much more appropriate for Preppers. The First Aid at Work and EFAW is very much geared towards work environment with an ambulance 8 minutes away. So if SHTF happens your chances of getting an ambulance are pretty remote I'd suggest! :o

However ANY FA training is better than no training at all.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional........and a much overated concept in my opinion!
peejay

Post by peejay »

Thanks both - the remote courses look interesting though as you say, even a basic SJA course would be a good start at least.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Mad Medic wrote:Did 20+ years in SJA so would suggest looking at these courses http://www.remoteemergencycare.com as being much more appropriate for Preppers. The First Aid at Work and EFAW is very much geared towards work environment with an ambulance 8 minutes away. So if SHTF happens your chances of getting an ambulance are pretty remote I'd suggest! :o

However ANY FA training is better than no training at all.
Those look OK if you live southern England, but something of a trek for the rest of us. Bit pricey too if I might say so. :o
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Do a basic first aid course to get the hang of it then get on YouTube and look up first aid on there. As you get a bit more informed lookup some more advanced videos like airway management with adjuncts and videos about common medical conditions and how they present.

Unfortunately to be really good at it you have to practise and experience it for a few years to see what dead and dying really looks like then you think most cuts and grazes are trivial in the grand scheme of things and makes it easier to deal with
Mad Medic

Post by Mad Medic »

Totally agree with most comments made:-
1. Any First Aid training is better than none.
2. Only way to really get comfortable with FA is to do it.

No sure I agree about the REC courses only being good for South of England. As far as I know there training providers throughout the country. No they're not cheap but like anything you pays your money and takes your choice.

Another suggestion contact your local ambulance service and look at becoming a Community First Responder. Good basic training in the life saving skills and oxygen, airways and some of the more extended skills. Then when you go operational you get real hands on patient experience which as Paramedic Prepper alluded to is a very necessary part of the bigger FA training experience.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional........and a much overated concept in my opinion!
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Mad Medic wrote:Totally agree with most comments made:-
1. Any First Aid training is better than none.
2. Only way to really get comfortable with FA is to do it.

No sure I agree about the REC courses only being good for South of England. As far as I know there training providers throughout the country. No they're not cheap but like anything you pays your money and takes your choice.

Another suggestion contact your local ambulance service and look at becoming a Community First Responder. Good basic training in the life saving skills and oxygen, airways and some of the more extended skills. Then when you go operational you get real hands on patient experience which as Paramedic Prepper alluded to is a very necessary part of the bigger FA training experience.
Totally agree about Community First Responders(CFR). Free advanced first aid training and you get some kit as well. I've worked with several and even have them ride out with me for a shift to get them more exposure. I'm pretty sure all ambulance services in UK have a scheme. If there isn't one set up in your town ask the ambulance service what it would take to set one up. Usually if you get 3-5 people who are interested then they will give you training, kit, oxygen and an AED. The experience is much easier to come by then if your willing to volunteer some of your time each week.