My EDC IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit)

Medical and Healthcare
Brambles

Re: My EDC IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit)

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:
shocker wrote:Im (almost) speechless at how much things have advanced in this area. And how out of touch I am. :oops:

I agree on the compulsory first aid training. I was lucky in having a Junior St Johns group meet weekly in the Rec Hall opposite where I lived as a child, so I got to blag in for free as they felt sorry for the pikey kid. Cant see that the same but updated would hurt youngsters, nowadays.

I really need to get some up to date training. (not quite) all-the-gear, no idea...thats me :oops: :(
I'm well out of date too and while the basics are the same, I'm not insured as a first aider, this is something to consider in our litigious world.

Stop the purple stuff pissing out and keep the heart going is the core I guess but things evolve. It would be good to get back in date, more to be of use to others, I'm happy enough to square myself away.
This is what prevents me from carrying more than a few plasters and wound wipes when out and about with the general public. The only thing I carry out of the norm is a hypaguard disposable face shield. Seen one or two messy CPR's to not be without one.
The kits I take on holiday or fishing etc, are for mine and my friends/families benefit and are loaded with all the good stuff. Even so, I don't carry items I don't know how to use.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got another oales trauma bandage and a oales blast dressing over the weekend in the post...

Blast dressing is a bit on the bulky side quiet why they don't trim the packets is beyond me
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

The big flappy parts are easier to grab with gloves on and/or blood wet hands.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Luckily in Britain you cannot be sued for doing first aid as we still have a policy of Life before quality of Life, so get in there and do some thing. keep it simple stupid.The basics will always be the same,breathing,bleeding,breaks and burns, and go straight into 100 chest compression's, and I would always shout for help, boll*cks to the no shout thing.

I would like to know the reasoning behind the leave a sucking chest wound alone, unless I read that wrong.

like many on here I've had lots of training and used it all, and until the start of last year was qualified work place, PSU medic and a first aid trainer, but remember First Aid is just that, First Aid.

Survival EOTW first aid is another ball game and having all the shiny kit doesn't make you a medic/doctor, paramedic or anything else(unless you are a qualified one) but a wanna be.

The other problem I see is the more kit you have and carry around, the more you need as the one time you leave something behind, that's when you will want it.

Just my opinion
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

gamekeeper752 wrote:
I would like to know the reasoning behind the leave a sucking chest wound alone, unless I read that wrong.

Just my opinion

Gamekeeper:
6. Sucking chest wounds should be left open to the environment - Three sided dressings are no longer recommended.

Due to clinical experience of both improvised and purpose made dressings inadvertently becoming occlusive, the ERC guidelines recommend to ‘leave the wound in open communication with the environment’. This means that there is no longer a requirement to cover it with a dressing. The main emphasis on providing care should be to ‘do no harm’, and the risk of dressings becoming occlusive is significant.

Link back a page

And Thankyou darling that makes sense

We covered the olaes blast and trauma bandages on my First Aid at work 2 day requal along with CAT use

gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Thanks Yorkshire, I get that ,however that's good for single sided wounds and why I have full chest seals , however, what when you haven't got medical help available within an hour or two what then.

Certain Police forces have dropped the general quality of their staffs training, because there is an assumption that either a paramedic or firefighter medic would be with you quickly,but what when their not, people can and have died.

My point is know the basics, then expand your kit and knowledge base, not the other way round

As always my opinion only.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Panic ;)

My kit isn't terror related as such. I work in the bulk timber trade with huge band saws / resaws / chop saws / milling machines which can and will remove limbs hence the kit I have, its almost impossible to apply enough pressure / cover a big chaps leg stump using the basic HSE or bs approved kits the large pads are not exactly large

I've been told not to dress sucking chest wounds so won't be packing chest seals ;)

Now were it a member of the family I would use an occlusive dressing

Same with a broken limb I'd splint it but in the confines of my first aid training I wouldn't bar using a support sling if required

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

gamekeeper752 wrote:Luckily in Britain you cannot be sued for doing first aid as we still have a policy of Life before quality of Life, so get in there and do some thing. keep it simple stupid.The basics will always be the same,breathing,bleeding,breaks and burns, and go straight into 100 chest compression's, and I would always shout for help, boll*cks to the no shout thing.

like many on here I've had lots of training and used it all, and until the start of last year was qualified work place, PSU medic and a first aid trainer, but remember First Aid is just that, First Aid.

Survival EOTW first aid is another ball game and having all the shiny kit doesn't make you a medic/doctor, paramedic or anything else(unless you are a qualified one) but a wanna be.

The other problem I see is the more kit you have and carry around, the more you need as the one time you leave something behind, that's when you will want it.

Just my opinion
Can we keep to the subject of Firt Aid Kits, rather than straying into first aid training, Cheers. :) Maybe start another thread?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

my new edc med kits, 1 in pocket larger in coat. I am advanced trained but I would very very strongly advise people with chest decompression needles to get rid of them unless you are a doctor, have experience of decompressing chests, insured and also a big set of b"£*S.

I dont get the buy all the kit and not trained to use ethos of some people.

I carry wound dressing pads, cat, bandages- I use the blue compression bandages, 1 because they cost a pound and can get 3 good lengths from 1 bandage. 2 you dont need tape- it sticks to its self, 3 it compresses applying direct pressure.
I can triage 30 people with a sharpie and parcel tags, booboo kit, tuff cuts, cpr shield, wipes and gloves. the most expensive kit is the cat, everything else is from the pound shop. I also have my majax aide memoire sheet.

It really is not about the kit you have, its the skills/knowledge and ingenuity to improvise which will get you through.
in response to Gamekeepers comment, sorry yes you can be sued if you screw up, if you go to help you take a duty of care, doing something is not always better than nothing if its wrong, hence why everyone needs up to date training.
:ugeek:
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Agree with medicmark with the needles. Even if u successfully place the IV and flush it, then what? Saline flush is a POM and u are administering a drug just by flushing it_ big ethical/legal issues with that. What drugs are you giving? None I guess so why cannulate to start with? Military and civilian use of IVs are a bit different and u would definitely get some funny looks from a medic arriving to help. SHTF then fill your boots but not EDC

I like the rest of the kit very compact and relevant. I'm