shtf /mass casualty help me kits

Medical and Healthcare
sniper 55

Re: shtf /mass casualty help me kits

Post by sniper 55 »

Another thing is try to keep track of what you do to each casualty (eg bloke in green shirt head injury dressed), and keep an eye on whats going on around you as well. As soon as your clear of the situation and safe sit down and write it all out in detail, as much as you can remember. You may have to go to court at some point and those notes will be a big help remembering the small details.
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

Hi guys, sorry not posted sooner, been working.
I forgot to add that in the kit I have the stick to its self bandage which i have cut into 2 and wrapped round a piece of card. its brill stuff and is not affected by water or blood like adhesive tape. the lengths are big enough to wrap twice round a leg or head so providing pressure to the bleeding also it can be used as cas straps for broken bones, just add a piece of appropriate wood/card and sorted.

someone asked for a link to the pouch for the larger kit, here it is.

http://www.wilko.com/first-aid/wilko-fi ... vt/0348438

here is also a link to triage, its new and improved and I think simpler.
http://naru.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 5A304D.pdf

as I stated, my thoughts where If I was at an incident and many people where injured more people would help if I said heres some gloves put that pad on that wound and press, Hard.

As part of my job I have been involved with more MCI's than I can recall, one however does spring to mind many years ago, 8 kids on mini motorbikes, lets just say 8 trauma teams needed and very long recoveries for all involved.

as sniper 55 says ensure you write down as much as you can, even better use your phone as a dictaphone, person 1 male 60 green jacket near bus door, large lac to head wound pad applied left with bystander, then so on. its remarkable what you forget but this gives you a chance. :ugeek:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

medicmark wrote:
as sniper 55 says ensure you write down as much as you can, even better use your phone as a dictaphone, person 1 male 60 green jacket near bus door, large lac to head wound pad applied left with bystander, then so on. its remarkable what you forget but this gives you a chance. :ugeek:

From a incident the BIL was involved in he took a couple of photo's the Officer who "debriefed" him told him he wouldnt mention them in his statement or they would take his phone into evedence which = no phone / no way to contact loved ones / arrange a lift home......

they got enough info from the 999 recording.... so Dial 999 then tell them to leave the line open on record that way you can relay as much info as possible back then the control can direct staff as required (unless you get a jobsworth who is intent on following the computer screen despite you having done a primary / secondary survey and a avpu score to tell them) ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

even better now with technology you could facetime/facebook live direct from the scene, I am lucky as have contacts in the services including force incident managers so if I say its gone tits up they believe me. another piece of equipment I carry now is a little mirror, purely to use if its a gunman type incident I can look over/round obstacles without poking my head out and getting it shot off, anyone else carry one in edc? :ugeek:
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I've got the old fashioned metal signal mirror in my kit, but I have a plastic car wing mirror in my jacket pocket (picked up off the side of the road) her indoors gives me some very odd looks when she goes in my pockets for something or other though.
I'm planning on fitting it on the end of a "selfie" stick (a cheapy one) so I can look under the car and over things, I can't bend so well these days.