Simple first aid kit.

Medical and Healthcare
shocker

Re: Simple first aid kit.

Post by shocker »

On the subject of celox/quickclot and hemostatics in general, I posted a link on here a few weeks back to a paramedics forum that advised against them in most circumstances. They reckoned that direct pressure with a first field dressing (or similar) was a much better solution. I forget the exact reasoning but I will try and find it again.

I was a bit put out by this - I have used vetinary wound powder for years on the farm and on myself too at times, though I wouldnt advise anyone to do that. I thought "what a wonderful product" and was all set to buy some, until I read up on it.

Apparently (the bit I remember) the impregnated bandages are a good idea but the use of hemostatics in our current world makes further treatment harder when you get to the real medics. I do not doubt its wonderful capabilities on the battlefield or in disaster, SHTF scenarios, but now I think twice about it. I'll try find that link again.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
shocker

Post by shocker »

Here it is ;

http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/haemostatics/

..its a great site, well worth a bookmark or printoff ;)

edit- this is well worth a look too;

http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/urban-survival-kits/
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Cheers Shocker, I've bookmarked the site and I'll swing through it later, looks interesting.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

That's a great discussion on haemostatics.

For me, as a trained First Aider with a bit of (messy) experience, the takeaways are:

- You need specific training for each agent
- Time is critical
- The hospital may not know how to deal with the agent
- Gauze works as well as most haemostatics

Also, as a First Aider you are expected to work to you level of training, and not use stuff you haven't formally been trained on.

For me, I'll be revising the big FAKs to include more gauze, and forget about Celox etc.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

featherstick wrote:That's a great discussion on haemostatics.

For me, as a trained First Aider with a bit of (messy) experience, the takeaways are:

- You need specific training for each agent
- Time is critical
- The hospital may not know how to deal with the agent
- Gauze works as well as most haemostatics

Also, as a First Aider you are expected to work to you level of training, and not use stuff you haven't formally been trained on.

For me, I'll be revising the big FAKs to include more gauze, and forget about Celox etc.
Couldn't say it better myself. I would always prefer to pack out a wound, at least the surgeon can then see what's what. Haemostatics have their place, but they are not for me.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Latest first aid guidelines now include hemostatic gauze/ field dressings and cat tourniquet use under the new first actions:

Danger
Response
Catastrophic bleeding
Air way
Breathing
Bleeding
Circulation
Bones

download/file.php?id=1161&mode=view

download/file.php?id=1160&mode=view
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

Thanks Brambles and Deeps. I think I am on the road to recovery. It has made me realise that I need to stock more of everything in general though. Its been suprising how quickly the stock of pain killers have gone down. Although it has not helped that the OH has taken to putting the empty packets back in the boxes :roll: I think i am going to aim to keep a minimum of two weeks worth per person in stock at all times from now on.

Mighty I like the look of your guide, I'm adding that to my urgent list. The small little pocket on I have is just nor in depth enough. I have spent a lot of time on Google which would be problematic in a SHTF situation. Also the screen continuously timing out would be a bit annoying.
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

as many have said celox et al are good and life saving, however it brings major issues such as being a pain in the arse to remove so we can fix the problem. even more so n a major shtf situation we need to remember hospital/ definitive care may not be there, also it goes out of date and is bloody expensive.
remember be good at the basics, not crap and dangerous at the advanced. :ugeek: