DIY Shampoo

Medical and Healthcare
aldhelm

DIY Shampoo

Post by aldhelm »

I found this on a free kindle book site while having a nosey through it, now I've not looked at it so I don't know if it's any good or not. I've only seen the title
and thought to myself ah ha I'll down load it and look later, but I've that many books to read on my kindle it might not be around by the time I get to look at it properly.

http://uk.dailyfreebooks.com/free_ebook ... B01HBKC63K

Just watch that you click to download it make sure it's the Amazon bit.
Deeps

Re: DIY Shampoo

Post by Deeps »

Good find, cheers.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Recently saw a load of recipes for shampoo, hand soap, laundry detergent etc on a US prepper site - it really showed the difference in markets, UK vs US. Things like washing soda and borax that are still available in any supermarket in the US are not so easy to source here any more. Yes, they can be had, but the cost is such that you (or me actually :oops: ) would spend more on the ingredients than if I bought the finished product. Im lucky that the one pound-ish shop near me has some old fashioned household stuff, even so, its a shame.

However, it is good to know this stuff because one can stock up on common ingredients for household cleaners etc, and know that you can make your own shampoo, toothpaste, washing powder and stuff should they become unavailable for some reason.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

Or if your a dude shave the damm thing, saved me a bomb over the years :mrgreen:
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Alloneword wrote:Or if your a dude shave the damm thing, saved me a bomb over the years :mrgreen:
Mine is usually kept pretty short and I've not used shampoo for at least 25 years (and only very rarely run a bar of soap over it), just wet it under the shower but my missus (and most people) do like to wash their hair. As for saving money, we bought electric clippers and my missus sharpens my napper with them, paid for themselves after about 3 hair cuts. :)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I have a skin condition ( funny I've never considered it from a preparedness point of view though I do stock as much as I can of all things) I use combinations of a coal tar shampoo and head and shoulders, plus if it get's really bad Nizoral, I think I would have no choice than to go extremely short if things ever got that bad, I doubt any DIY attempt would do the job, mind you my head gets so itchy at times it becomes urgent to treat it.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
redskies

Post by redskies »

If you learn to make your own soap from scratch, it works as shampoo, face wash & body wash :)

I've not bought shampoo for, hmm, five or six years now, and my hair is probably near my waist these days. You can make a good moisturiser out of aloe with oils beaten into it as well.

We use bicarb + vinegar for cleaning, and citric acid is also good, from cleaning jewellery to the inside of the kettle.
shocker

Post by shocker »

redskies wrote:If you learn to make your own soap from scratch, it works as shampoo, face wash & body wash :)
...then simply extract tar from any handy coal, and voila ! Jobs a good 'un ;)
Bearded Prepper

Post by Bearded Prepper »

This is awesome, thanks for the link
shocker

Post by shocker »

Wahl Professional Hairclippers (the ones they use at the barbers, not lah-de-dah mens hairdressers!) were one of the best buys I ever made. Twenty odd quid from Argos about 25 years ago. One new set of blades since, 4 quid. A drop of 3 in 1 now and then, and thats it. Shocker buzz-cuts all round ! :D

I actually got pretty good at it at one point, when I lived in the city is was a regular thing for people to drop round for a haircut and a brew.