Big or small?

Medical and Healthcare
ParamedicPrepper

Re: Big or small?

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Deeps wrote:
ParamedicPrepper wrote:
Deeps wrote:A belated response but I've just opened up my smallest FAK which is the one I tend to take unless I'm hill walking or whatever. Without further ado.....

1 x triangular bandage
1 x field dressing ( a cheap one from Israel, not an Israeli bandage)
1 x 7.5 by 7.5 non adherent dressing
15 x bandages (various) (15 by coincidence rather than design)
2 x eye wash tubes
1 x small tube of savlon
14 x steristrip things (2 sizes) (again, just a handful of each (9 small which I think I'd be more likely to use if requred)
2 x sachets burnshield
2 x wound cleaning wipes
6 x alcohol wipes
1 x hand gel
1 x foil blanket
8 x safety pins
2 x pair latex gloves
1 x small tweezers
1 x small clipper lighter
1 x small (aaa) torch
1 x small scissors
1 x packet of assorted meds (brufin, imodium, antihystimine)

I forgot to mention I carry a 'boo boo' kit on me at all times, basically a few plasters, wipes and meds. I've also got a wee screw top platic 'pot' that's full of various meds that can get thrown in with whatever bag I take as a top up.

My next biggest kit is a slightly larger version of the above with extra bandages and meds (a wee bit more of everything) and I take that away up the hills. I'll have a look at that next, while I'm at home tonight I'm passing by as it were.

I'm keen to get your feedback PP, I know these are tailored to the individual but if you can see something that I've missed I'd appreciate your opinion. I reckon I could do with a few more wound cleaning wipes looking at it.
I think it's pretty spot on and obviously suits your needs. Whats the lighter for out of curiosity? Sterilizing?
I would maybe add something slightly more 'trauma' bandage wise and maybe a CAT tourniquet, but maybe i'm overdoing it
I hate the wipes, i prefer saline pods and some gauze but wipes are good for small stuff and I suppose that is what I have been shown so stick to it.

Its funny as the amount of people who say to me when at work, why do we not carry stuff like ice packs, small plasters, wound wipes and so on. I suppose we carry big and gone bad stuff and don't tend to have the delicate first aid stuff so trying to come out of that mind set is difficult and I find myself beefing up a pack of kids plasters with a Tourniquet lol Its good to hear whats in others kits as makes me think more realistic everyday first aid rather than its all hit the fan
What I called 'eye wash tubes' are the saline pods, with the exception of the foil blanket and the hand sanitizer it all fits into a wee pouch that's about 6"X4"X3" roughly so designed to as small as I can practically get it and live with the above in a sealy bag. For anything trauma-ish I'd probably go for the field dressing unless I thought the pad would do. The lighter (and torch) are really back up as I'd have both already. I don't smoke but if I'm going more than a short walk from home I have one in my pocket. The 'justification' for it in the FAK is sterilisation but it also doubles up as a spare. In my slightly bigger pack I have a couple of spare AAA batteries, supposedly for the torch in the FAK but at the end of the day they're spare batteries for whatever, I'm a bugger for redundancy. :oops: Having reviewed things I'll try and squeeze an extra couple of 50x50 pads or the like in, along with a few more wipes, thanks for making me go over it.

I've never been trained on a CAT tourniquet and if things got to that level I'd improvise with a belt or T shirt or whatever but personally I don't see that as first aid. I'm aware of my limitations and while I'd do what I could I see that as a step across to serious medical help myself.

I do have ice packs (and sprays), heat pads etc in my 'big bag' along with an overspill. The big bag is something I would take with me in the unlikely event of a 'bug out' for a hurricane warning (I know, I know) or the like and is part of my main med store. I do think that sprains/pulled muscles etc and the like will be more likely than the serious trauma injuries, I bought a sports injury kit as the bones of my FAK's, based on my own experience of what goes wrong, no guarantee's of course but age plays a part, I don't seem to recover as quickly as I did.

I'm not at home much at the moment so I'll try and break down my meatier pack next time I'm back (or if I remember I'll pack it when I head off tomorrow and post the contents tomorrow night). Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Even in the ambulance service we don't carry proper wound irrigation pods, it's small plastic vials of NaCl for IV use or if needed a 500ml IV bag. The lesser first aid stuff if you like is not carried generally making my mindset difficult to get out of with first aid. I over cook the kit slightly lol
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've brought my slightly bigger FAK to disassemble, it all fits in one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality- ... m0hlHlVxHw

here goes..

1 x Foil blanket
2 x triangular bandages
3 x saline things/eye drops
2 x bandage wraps
1 x roll medical tape
1 x large tweezers
1 x small tweezers
1 x AAA torch
1 x small lighter
1 x small scissors
1 x bag of brufin/allergy/immodium pills
2 x AAA batteries
1 x pack of 10 cotton buds
1 x pack of safety pins (looks about a dozen)
3 x pair of gloves
1 x 6x7 adhesive dressing
1 x 7.5x7.5 non adhesive dressing
1 x eye pad
1 x field dressing
1 x hand gel
1 x tube of germoline
1 x large bag of assorted plasters (quite a few)
2 x burn shield sachets
3 x 5x5 non adherent pads
1 x pack of small pads
1 x tube of dentogen (toothy stuff)
18 x puritabs
12 x alcohol wipes
8 x wound cleaning wipes
4 x small superglues (justification is in absolute emergency it might have a medical use but like some of the other stuff, it fits in the bag and has a number of uses)

The bag is pretty wedged but compact enough and easy just to put in a bag. Again, any feedback appreciated.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: I've never been trained on a CAT tourniquet and if things got to that level I'd improvise with a belt or T shirt or whatever but personally I don't see that as first aid. I'm aware of my limitations and while I'd do what I could I see that as a step across to serious medical help myself.

see here:

viewtopic.php?t=13167&p=145544#p153840

CAT/ CELOX/ Trauma dressings are now covered in the Latest revision to First aid at work with even the 1 day emergency first aid at work covering them

they also showed

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand ... 896_1.html

which is gauze and dressing all in one pack used a bottle cap the other month when i stabbed myself to replicate the pressure cap....

then there is the isralii dressing which can apply a fair bit of pressure

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand ... 975_1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTtfEgAt6KY
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Deeps wrote: I've never been trained on a CAT tourniquet and if things got to that level I'd improvise with a belt or T shirt or whatever but personally I don't see that as first aid. I'm aware of my limitations and while I'd do what I could I see that as a step across to serious medical help myself.

see here:

viewtopic.php?t=13167&p=145544#p153840

CAT/ CELOX/ Trauma dressings are now covered in the Latest revision to First aid at work with even the 1 day emergency first aid at work covering them

they also showed

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand ... 896_1.html

which is gauze and dressing all in one pack used a bottle cap the other month when i stabbed myself to replicate the pressure cap....

then there is the isralii dressing which can apply a fair bit of pressure

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand ... 975_1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTtfEgAt6KY
I saw it when you posted it mate, all I can say is I've not needed a tourniquet yet and until I do the course (unlikely now) or have a play I'll leave it to the pro's. That might change of course, who knows.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I did it on the latest first aid at work refresher I work in the timber trade and at home dabble with chain saw etc so I do have celox / cat"s

Want some more trauma dressings to add to my kits

shocker

Post by shocker »

I have posted this on its own thread but its relevant here too :

http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/first-aid-kits/

from FAK all the way up, with info on hemostatics too ! ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »