to buy or not to buy a Stethescope

Medical and Healthcare
ParamedicPrepper

Re: to buy or not to buy a Stethescope

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Lanky Yankee wrote:As a person who uses a stethoscope daily, you get what you pay for with one. If your concerned about what to listen for there are loads of sites that have audio files so you can learn. Most people who know how to use them will have one or two anyway so having a cheap one just in case someone can use it I feel is not a good prep and that money could be put to better use for more bandages, but if you buy one with a view of increasing your own knowledge then get a decent one. Cheap stethoscope are cheap and not worth it.
Exactly what I was going to say! There needs to be a like button. Also if you do get one and listen to someone's lungs and hear stuff you thinks not right don't tell the gp or doctor you visit as a result that you listened and could hear... as that will piss them off without a doubt
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

Bang on, we are always told if you get one, get a good one which = expensive, but gives excellent results, second point is ensure you dont lend it to anyone as they often do not return so also ensure its clearly marked as yours.

in regards to your child with respiratory problems, you could get a pulse oximiter, a decent thermometer or even a portable nebuliser which would all be more beneficial.

As has been said spending a hundred quid on scopes you cant use properly or get kit you can use, its a no brainer.
Mark. :ugeek:
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

thanks people, lots of reasons for and against there, its not for firm diagnosis purposes, probably going to go mid range and a Littmann for about £40/50 ish, better to have and not need and all that - dont worry, im not going to rely on it or tell the doctors ive got it etc, etc - my wife is an NHS aligned person and knows how fragile a doctors ego is, also how big it is too and i dont fancy winding them up much....