First aid kit recommendations.

Medical and Healthcare
drillerkiller

First aid kit recommendations.

Post by drillerkiller »

Hello,

After a first aid kit, can anyone recommend a good value one covering as much as possible, to be kept at home so dont need to be portable.
For 2 adults and 5 kids (maybe more depending)

Thanks
Deeps

Re: First aid kit recommendations.

Post by Deeps »

There's a fair bit of first aid advice on here, have a look around, you'll know best what your own requirements are but its handy to have a nose around others kit. I've built my own, Youtube is another good place to look for contents. Hope that helps.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Large tupaware tub

And this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wallace-camer ... _container

Add a few bottles of eyewash some kids plasters and http://www.screwfix.com/p/wallace-camer ... 00ml/42080

http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.t ... =265486272

some cold packs
https://m.firstaid4less.co.uk/?ar=1&ccv ... ss-Ice-Bag

Then another tub with drugs (paracetamol ibuprofen, calpol etc and put it in a safe place)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh and add plenty of wound dressings I managed to stab myself on Friday I'm doing 2 dressing changes a day so I'm up to about 8 dressings ..

http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.t ... =277842869
They are £1 a pack of 5

the coalthief

Post by the coalthief »

Include some steri-strips and medical super glue,great way of dealing with more severe cuts.
Helped me a few times.
Also search out Stop Hemo plasters,good for faster healing of minor cuts.
"People don't change when they see the light,only when they feel the heat."
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Scissors/trauma shears. Blister plasters. Tape. Lots of triangular bandages. Some plastic zip lock bags.

All handy extras I carry come in useful.

Also gloves that actually fit and not the generic extra large ones in the pre made kits
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

a small torch for the obvious (darkness) and checking pupil response,maybe a head torch so your hands free, a basic first aid guide- always a good reminder or if someone is with you and panicking you can get them to read the instructions, focuses them and reminds you if not doing med care all the time.
Maybe add some PPE items, gloves that fit, plastic aprons, eye protection, plastic bags for rubbish.
cling film and food bags for burns, pen and pad for recording observations etc.
A cpr mask would be good also.

as has been said previously 2 boxes, this is what I do for the home,, 1 for the first aid items, 2nd for the medications.
Also with the children, depending on age maybe get them involved.
Mark. :ugeek:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

medicmark wrote:a small torch for the obvious (darkness) and checking pupil response,maybe a head torch so your hands free, a basic first aid guide- always a good reminder or if someone is with you and panicking you can get them to read the instructions, focuses them and reminds you if not doing med care all the time.
Maybe add some PPE items, gloves that fit, plastic aprons, eye protection, plastic bags for rubbish.
cling film and food bags for burns, pen and pad for recording observations etc.
A cpr mask would be good also.

as has been said previously 2 boxes, this is what I do for the home,, 1 for the first aid items, 2nd for the medications.
Also with the children, depending on age maybe get them involved.
Mark. :ugeek:
Great idea, I think I'd manage on my own (more or less) dealing with a situation but if someone is going totally Tonto it might distract me, someone who's already maybe winging it.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

To add to what others have said. It's worth having some tablets to treat constipation or diareeah as well as some antibiotics which you can get from online chemists without a perscripton.

Another thing is something to replenish vital body salts and electrilites etc.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Tweezers ;)

On the first aid note... Last Saturday my dad had a fight with a Stanley knife (this a week after ridiculing me for stabbing myself cutting towards my leg et all)

Now mum lovingly handed him some kitchen roll as he was getting claret all over the carpet

Now I hung a bloody great FAK in green box in the cupboard under stairs right above the hook for her clothes peg bag... Its been there a good 5 years. Her response was "I didn't know it was there!"

Anyways hospital patched him up quick as he was dripping on the floor in reception
IMG-20170127-WA0008.jpg
After one week he's healing