First aid put into practice....

Medical and Healthcare
Yorkshire Andy

First aid put into practice....

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well was unpacking baby to be's new pram :) was at the stage of thinking is it possible to get any more cable ties round it all ... Tried leatherman pliers and risked scratching paint so opted for the knife blade. . .

Yep dispite knowing better I cut towards myself and the lovely sharp blade ( brand new shiney leatherman never before used sharp ) ended up in my leg just above my knee.....

Been stabbed with a sharp knife doesn't hurt.....

Dropped trousers of nice hole...

Trickle of blood....

First aid box in next bedroom . .

HSE large dressing bound tightly to staunch blood flow

Good thing local Minor injuries is less than a mile from home. Dad dropped me off less than 20 mins from walking in to been sorted.....

So feet up (well, leg) tonight
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jamesey1981

Re: First aid put into practice....

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Ouch, bet that bled like a bugger, sharp blades always do.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

It had just started to trickle as I slapped the HSE large dressing on it and bound the bugger very tightly with the affixed bandage.. Bled more when the Dr had a prod and poke at which point he shoved a gauze over it and told me to hold it and vanished to get a nurse to use some fancy skin closure strip with additional super glue through the perforated holes in it

preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Steristrip?
Did they use a 2 part superglue and activator putting it on the strip then spraying it afterwards?

Hope it mends well and quickly for you.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

She called it a wound closure strip more like a 8 mm x 5 cm strip of zinc oxide with 4mm perforations along its length

The glue thing resembled a cross over between a mini glow stick and a cotton wool ear bud. She snapped the stick and held it so glue soaked into cotton type bud and dabbed it on the holes and edges . .

Definitely wasn't "mitre mate" ;)

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Exhibit A. On closer inspection it looks like the highly elastic hypoalagenic (SPL) plaster type material
IMG_20170106_223916413.jpg
Put a decent dressing on in place of the diy gauze and 10cm tape the hospital put on as it was already falling off and was about as flexible as a credit card..... Was told it was a money saving exercise by the hospital to make dressings rather than buy them pre made!

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Easily done, but good job on the first aid.

Note to yourself to replen the kit you used.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Well done Andy, got to respect those sharp pointy things, but then having the occasional slip teaches us, my little cuts often occur on the fingers doing the dishes when I've chucked tins in the sink for recycling and find the lids ( or sharp knives others throw in that I don't know about, the latter I have my system of checking the magnetic knife racks to see whether there may be one in there before I go at it.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Those strips are skin link. They are great. They are as strong as sutures and you can use them over joints, unlike glue or stereo strips. They are a bit expensive to use but I think worth it.

http://www.liquiband.com/products/skinlink.aspx
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kit has been rotated new large adhesive dressings gone into various fak's and old stock pooled for daily dressing changed

I have a box full (litterally) of dressings so not too worried about replenishment of one large HSE dressing...

Thanks for the link Lanky Yankee

It's stiffened up over night but not too bad considering the mess I made ;)