wound closure in a SHTF situation

Medical and Healthcare
medicmark

wound closure in a SHTF situation

Post by medicmark »

Hi all, I thought about some of your questions relating to wound closure, and have done some research.
I have looked at the costings of the equipment just for training to suture.
on Ebay these kits cost around £45 and include sutures, instruments and suture skin material.

I popped along to my local market, purchased 9 curved needles, then on to the pound shop and bought 2 packs of mini pliers/kneedlenose pliers, borrowed a few spools of thread and hey voila, practice kit for £8, now I would never use this on patients, but for practice its ideal and a saving of £37 kerching.

the practice suture material is crap, we practice at work on pigs trotters, but you can use chicken, if your vegetarian you can use the mole skin cushioning material.
Mark. :geek:
shocker

Re: wound closure in a SHTF situation

Post by shocker »

I spoke nicely to my local pharmacist and ordered a whole box of sutures, about £15. But for practice,its better as you say. US made butterfly closures are available on ebay and are far superior to steristrips and most importantly suitable for use by the un- or semi-trained. Medical superglue without the methanol is sourcable the same way but some training would be advised.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***