Natural antibiotics

Medical and Healthcare
survivorZ

Natural antibiotics

Post by survivorZ »

Hi this one is mainly aimed towards those of you who have a deeper understanding of the plant life we have here in the uk or even any tips and tricks to find antibiotics when you aren't able to use those from a pharmacy.
Plymtom

Re: Natural antibiotics

Post by Plymtom »

Well thanks for the nudge, a quick google gives us http://naturalsociety.com/what-are-the- ... tibiotics/ which is a starting point I suppose, when you think about it perhaps we should have been bolstering the natural cures rather than replacing them entirely.
It does make me wonder if the antibiotics we use could also evolve as the bacteria is doing, we hear that they are becoming resistant, but do they kill off the antibiotic also, or if given chance by prolonged exposure with the original source ( I'm thinking mould like penicillin) would a long term battle bring about a more effective antibiotic, and perhaps looking at the natural ones could they too be evolving all the time?
My thinking is there are so many varieties of the same plant that looking at all of them rather than for example Basil oil, we all know they vary tremendously in odour, this is especially so with Lavender, but then I suppose they must have thought of that already?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

survivorZ wrote: or even any tips and tricks to find antibiotics when you aren't able to use those from a pharmacy.
You probably know this already, but the fish antibiotics you can get from pet stores are exactly the same as the "standard" antibiotics you get given at a hospital or pharmacy - just branded differently. You can look up the 1 to 1 correspondence between the fish antibiotics and the pharmacy antibiotics.

If you look into it, you'll probably arrive at the same position I've arrived at, which is that taking antibiotics is not at all simple, could be very harmful, and should therefore be left to professionals even if SHTF.

There's some discussions on this forum about it to get you started.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

This is a great place to start.

The Holistic Herbal By David Hoffmann.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holistic-Herba ... tic+herbal

It's simply laid out, easy to understand and doesn't overcomplicate things.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
survivorZ

Post by survivorZ »

sethorly wrote:
survivorZ wrote: or even any tips and tricks to find antibiotics when you aren't able to use those from a pharmacy.
You probably know this already, but the fish antibiotics you can get from pet stores are exactly the same as the "standard" antibiotics you get given at a hospital or pharmacy - just branded differently. You can look up the 1 to 1 correspondence between the fish antibiotics and the pharmacy antibiotics.

If you look into it, you'll probably arrive at the same position I've arrived at, which is that taking antibiotics is not at all simple, could be very harmful, and should therefore be left to professionals even if SHTF.

There's some discussions on this forum about it to get you started.
Yes I already knew about the fish antibiotics which is actually one place i'll be scavaging from first well everyone runs to the pharmacys and hostitals, but I'm aiming more towards long term as all these are man made and wont be being produced so when you have well and truely run out or may be on a run and not have them on you I want the knowledge to find plants or other things that can be used as pain killers and antibiotics. I also know that using something such as vodka or any high percentage alcohol can be used to clean a wound and drank to numb pain the same as mead is boiled from honey and it's antibiotic nature increases massively.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I am currently trialling a pine bark powder commonly called PYCNOGENOL which is a major anti inflammatory and pain killer without narcotic side effects - I know its not an antibiotic but it may be of interest.

It has been trialled and used for over 20 years by a US chiropractor and found to be very successful by people I know. The substance is properly called OLIGOMERIC PROANTHOCYANIDIN. I believe (and hope!) the CYANI bit refers to colour rather than poison. It is available on fleabay and some mushroom spore vendors. I am trying to find the latin name of the tree to see if it is a pine common to the UK or maybe in botanical gardens or arboreta.

On the antibiotic front, after finishing the last of my NATO wound dusting powder about 20 years back I have successfully used lavender oil in some quite major wound and infections, abcessed dog bites etc. It takes an absolutely huge amount of lavender to distill the oil from.It may be possible to make a strong decotion...I would suggest the book THE FRAGRANT PHARMACY for more and better advice on natural remedy sources and use.
The medical type I get from the vet for pigs and use the weight chart to measure dose and subcut it. I WOULD NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO DO THIS UNLESS THEY HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE AND TRAINING. The injectable vetinary solution can be taken orally which is safer.
Tea tree oil I have had less success with and obviously as its an import so is not sustainable.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***