How do you prep for this?

Medical and Healthcare
DustyDog

How do you prep for this?

Post by DustyDog »

Have just come out of hospital after having a tumor removed from my kidney. Now i'm reasonably fit, do weights, an active job etc.
Of course i feel ill after such a surgery, but i feel so weak, have lost a stone in weight in a week, it is the the feeling weak and being helpless that scares me the most, if i had to defend my family (highly unlikely i know) i would not be able to do it, just for example.

So how do you prep for this kind of thing, i have no idea. Has anyone have a similar experience?
Up in the wet South Lakeland
pseudonym

Re: How do you prep for this?

Post by pseudonym »

Get well soon.

Depends if your family is on board/you belong to a MAG. Your responsibilities should be shared out and redundancies in place.

If not, not a lot you can do in a SHTF scenario.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

All the best for a speedy recovery DustyDog

:-)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
unsure

Post by unsure »

in two words ,, you can`t .
its impossible after having had major invasive surgery , you need to let nature take its course .
you heal ok on the out side but from the inside it takes a little longer .
i had half a kidney removed 15 years ago , from memory it took me around 6 months before i could work again , 3 months under what felt like house arrest . i could`nt go out for a walk let alone go shopping .
it was hard at the time , being so used to doing every thing for my self having to take a back seat and let others do things for me ,
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

I have to agree more or less with Unsure.

Follow your doctor's recommendations. They are generally as eager as you are for a speedy recovery and have people out the door and up and going as fast as possible compared to just a few years ago.

If you over-do it in trying to "speed up your recovery" you may damage yourself for the rest of your life.

As for "defending your family", well that might not be possible for a while. Time to let the family defend you.

If that is not possible look into getting your shotgun certificate and quit looking to brute physical force as the answer to home defense.
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Sorry to hear about your dificulties, how do you cope well physically it may be hard but your prep knowledge is always there and that is invaluable .As my dad used to say paid for thinking not for dancing.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Perhaps not the kind of observation you were after, but it sounds like you have a lot of time to research and practise SHTF skills. Like learning about foraging or woodworking or metalworking for instance. When SHTF you can be a wise village elder :)
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Speedy recovery mate, as others have said, there's feck all you can do about it, either hope you're not gonna have to go 'medieval' or rely on others. As you say though, how realistic is it that its going to be an issue, maybe just an (understandable) insecurity on your part. I suspect I'd feel the same to be honest, even having a sore face/ribs/hands from fighting can make you feel a bit vulnerable but its life. Do what I do, skate by on boyish good looks. ;) Get well soon and exercise the mind when you can't do the body.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Hope you feel stronger soon Dusty Dog. I think Deeps and Sethorly are spot on. Its like the universe is giving you another perspective and saying " Go on, prepper. Get round this!" You have just been given a bag full of "time". You'd know exactly what to do if someone gave you a big bag of wood out of the blue, or a bag of apples (...cider! Yum!)
So maybe if you can think of "time" as being like any other product that you can get a use from?
Best wishes for the new year! Bobble
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Sliding down comes easy to most of us.
Climbing back up again takes practice and determination.

The skill is to plan it and keep reaching for the next step up...but not too fast!
My guess is others around you maybe need to take a turn at being top-dog in order for them to develop too. Let them - and be a store of information for them to learn from. Your family group will be stronger for it in an emergency.

So...find a pad of paper, sort out your file of notes for SHTF and create a source of info while you have the time to do it.
Do what the Doc tells you... ambulate gently, smile nicely and eat right.

Above all, Get Well, friend. :)