Homemade medicine

Medical and Healthcare
AlwaysPrepping

Homemade medicine

Post by AlwaysPrepping »

Hi all,

I have a question which I hope someone could answer. My question is if in a SHTF situation could you grind painkillers or open antibiotic capsules and put them in a sugar syrup so that a child would take it easier.
I hope this makes sense and that someone has a view on this.
Thanks.
MissAnpassad

Re: Homemade medicine

Post by MissAnpassad »

It depends on the substance and what kind of coating it is on the pill, as some substances react in the acidic environment of the stomach.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

You're right Miss. Another thing is that a child's liver is less developed than an adult's as well as being smaller. Grinding up medicine makes it easy to make a mistake measuring the dosage suitable for their age thus accidentally overdose leading to possible liver failure. Another thing is that a powdered medicine will react all at once rather than steadily over a period of several hours. That is why some medicines are in tablet form and others, like cold/flu remedy are powder. The powders are a lower dose of paracetomol/ ibuprofen or whatever but it is processed very quickly so you get relief of symptoms without overstressing your liver.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Agree with what has been said by others, one thing I would add is that you don't want to grind up any of the NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen) as they're really hard on your stomach, most of the stronger ones have a gastro resistant coating so that they don't break up until they're past your stomach.

They're that bad that I'm not allowed to take them at all as I suffer from severe gastric reflux and have a family history of (in the case of my mum, lethal) stomach ulcers.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.