hello, I am medic mark,ask me a question.

Medical and Healthcare
Rykard

Re: hello, I am medic mark,ask me a question.

Post by Rykard »

Deeps wrote:
Rykard wrote:Hi Mark,
is there a natural alternative to hay fever remedies? I seem to suffer intermittently. I don't want to spend loads on piriton though..
Buy the cheap ones, the 'unbranded' ones are just as good. There are different anti histamines too so some work better than others, I've moved onto loratidine, have a play around and see whats best for you. They're something else I stock up on.

I just typed anti histamines into google, 14 for 89p
i am not getting stores come up, is there an online store you recommend? pm me an online answer breaks the rules.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Wilko is about the cheapest. 30 Loratidine or Cetizrine Chloride one a day tablets for £1.50. I keep a good stock of both, not that I suffer with hayfever, but they're good to have for an allergic reaction or insect bites, even motion sickness.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Aldis, Lidls, B & M's, etc. Most of the cheapy shops do them, check the box for the type.
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Pharmacy first online is by far the cheapest I have ever found for most meds.

https://www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk/catalog ... e#isPage=1

Loratadine £0.66 a box of 30

Plenty of other cheap meds on there and quick delivery
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

thanks for the posts guys, firstly courses- go and get cpr qualified, preferably adults and children. all the rest is common sense I.E Bleeding, elevate, pressure possible tourniquet[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atm-CX-pZzI[/youtube]

there are free courses from the british heart foundation- heartstart, or very cheaply from other providers.

just for info citizenaid will be doing courses soon, I am going to be a trainer in the national network so theres plenty of options. the differences in training levels have decreased so dramatically in recent years its amazing, its easy to go mad but this does save lives so spend your money here.

as for the questions about hayfever, the answers are bang on get store brand they are exactly the same as branded.
:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Hi Mark, thanks for the tips, when I went into the walk in clinic with my cut foot it was worse than I had thought , took a chunk out of my foot and nicked a vein ?

So the nurse put these little sheets in liquid and put them in the hole, when I soaked the wound to take the bandage off a few days later the bit on my wound went all gel like, what would this be .... wound clot ???

ATB
Jase
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

medicmark

Post by medicmark »

tanstaafl wrote:Hi Mark, thanks for the tips, when I went into the walk in clinic with my cut foot it was worse than I had thought , took a chunk out of my foot and nicked a vein ?

So the nurse put these little sheets in liquid and put them in the hole, when I soaked the wound to take the bandage off a few days later the bit on my wound went all gel like, what would this be .... wound clot ???

ATB
Jase
not a hundred percent sure as there are a multitude of dressings available, may have been cellox or quickclott, we have used that before for wounds that are buggers to stop bleeding using conventional methods.
sounds like some sort of wound packing, but i am not familiar of one which is applied or goes "off" like this :ugeek: :ugeek:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm far from an expert and enjoy the medical threads as a learning curve. For field dressings I've got a load of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOT-5-dressin ... 1e7a1549e6

although I've used the 'old skool' British ones in the past too, not for anything more than training I hasten to add. These seem on a par although I'm sure things have moved on. As someone who doubts I'll need to be at the cutting edge of first aid I'm weighing up cost against the 'best of gear' option. I must have over a dozen of these, I doubt I could justify the expense of a dozen Israeli bandages (despite these being bandages from Israel ;) ). Whatever works and I'm grateful to the more knowledgeable contributions, lots of food for thought.
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

good items to have but I think prepping is about longevity and med kit does not lend its self to that too well.
I have a few of the dear dressings, but am going towards cheeper alternatives so I get more for my money.
my new favourite little things are the cohesive bandages that stick to themselves, brilliant item and only a pound, I can cut it in half and get 2 good sized bandages that i can use for splinting/strapping/slings/tourniquet, place this with a 10 x 10 wound pad and there you go. :ugeek: :ugeek: