FAMILY THERMOMETER

Medical and Healthcare
dazthechippy

FAMILY THERMOMETER

Post by dazthechippy »

Hi Folks, unintentionally but spooky in a good way my preps are being pushed down the medical route which is good as they need an overhaul..

You'll probably remember most of my medical postings are about my kid who keeps falling off her scooter, getting cuts n bruises at school and whose last medical adventure was pneumonia and a short stay in hospital recently - she's seven, back home how as if nothing happened, typical kids eh ?

So, for this ask of the more medically capable preppers out there (and I think a few paramedics on the forum) I'm wondering if you have a recommendation for what my wife calls a family thermometer?

We have one that you hold gently in the ear and it gives a digital reading but my wife is convinced its not accurate enough (out be a couple of degrees which is a large margin) and wants me to look at a replacement..

I see in hospital they're using the under the arm ones but know anything with mercury is out..

any recommendations or thoughts please?

thanks...
gamekeeper752

Re: FAMILY THERMOMETER

Post by gamekeeper752 »

mate, before you buy a new one have you tested the one you've got
if it gives you and your wife's reading as near as dammit assuming your both healthy seems to me you'd be wasting money also take readings over a couple of hours if it really is 2 degrees out you will know by then
I've got a bog standard battery one that goes under the tongue
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I think your good lady may be meaning one of these....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medicalises-Ge ... hermometer

I'm ashamed to say I still have a couple of mercury thermometers kicking about as well as a digital one. Maybe I should trade in the mercury ones for a couple of these. :oops:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

The best place to get a temperature and administer meds.... Is up the bum

Once you get passed the taboo aspect of it it's not that unpleasant just give it a wipe afterwards
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Bog standard Braun ear thermometer. Works on all the family apart from the very small bambino a for which tympanic membrane readings can be inaccurate. Clean and relatively cheap for what you get. Last forever and only takes a couple of AA batteries. We have several and use at work and always found accurate. Rectal thermometers you have to take off anywhere between half to one degree to get accurate results!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:Bog standard Braun ear thermometer. Works on all the family apart from the very small bambino a for which tympanic membrane readings can be inaccurate. Clean and relatively cheap for what you get. Last forever and only takes a couple of AA batteries. We have several and use at work and always found accurate. Rectal thermometers you have to take off anywhere between half to one degree to get accurate results!
I'd have thought the risk of a sore face for the 'inserter' might be a black mark for the rectal ones too. :o
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Not everyone is 37.2C. Children and babies are warmer than older children and adults and your temperature varies throughout the day by nearly a degree Fahrenheit.
Appin

Post by Appin »

Electronic Under tongue thermometer.

Can be bought in Asda etc
Simple to use.
Can also be used in arm pit or groin crease in very small child

Normal readings said to be oral max 36.9
Deduct 0.5 if used in armpit.

Electronic Ear Themometers

In theory give a core reading so readings up to 37.5 considered normal. Very skill dependent. Usually very quick to give reading . Interestingly rarely used in hospitals as considered unreliable.

Mercury in Glass

No longer used but no batteries . Take up to 5 minutes to give reading.

Electronic skin thermometers

Not considered reliable so rarely used in health care.

All electronic thermometers adjust reading internally so the manufacturers instructions are vital. Human temperature varies throughout the day and night. Also some people run "hotter" than others. I rarely go above 36 for example. Usual recommendation is to take baseline readings in all family so you know what is normal for any individual.

Overall I use both oral and ear. For the ear thermometer I use a Braun and do best of 4 readings ie highest of 4. You will find if a child has been lying ear down in a pillow that will give a higher reading. For an oral a drink can distort readings for 30 minutes or more.

In all honesty first look at the patient. do they look sick? Temperature just helps a bit. In older people the temperature can fall rather than rise in infection. Sorry no easy answer.

Regards

Appin
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Know when mini andy was born they used in ear next day before they let him home £8.99 in lidl yesterday:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00YS6 ... ref=plSrch

Mrs Andy runs cold and try to convince
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine