Medical and Healthcare
featherstick

Re: Health check - have an MOT

Post by featherstick »

Really sorry to hear that mate.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

featherstick wrote:Really sorry to hear that mate.
No worries, it runs in the Family so I knew it was coming eventually :roll:

The blood pressure and diabetes I mean, not the falling apart bit :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

That's a blow.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Brambles wrote:That's a blow.

It is to my preps, means a large overhaul. I won't get rid of anything at the moment, see if diet and exercise can control it, If not then it'll either be kept for trading if TSHTF or the food bank if I need the room.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I feel your pain. I will soon be recharging the stores with a view to lifestyle changes so I will be doing much the same. Luckily I don't keep a lot of processed foods, but I'm running stocks down for other reasons at the mo and once the stores are gone I will be going about the whole thing of prepping somewhat differently. So I'm looking at it as a positive thing, I just hope the world doesn't go to custard while I'm in transition! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Oh my goodness! We are all falling apart :lol: I need more pills for arthritis and earliest appointment is next Friday, I am slowly ceasing up each day :( can't lift anything above my shoulders or the elbows give out, can't bend the knees to far or they are agony, back to shuffling instead of walking, I knew it was coming fir my feet/ankles as I ahem put both feet into the moving wheels of a bike as a child whilst being given a supposedly fun ride... I can still hear the crunching noise my ankles made as I screamed :oops: neighbour thought it was screams of delight! Makes me shudder to this day!

Let's hope we can all get ourselves sorted out soon!

What will you have to do diet wise pseudonym apart from no sugar? Will you need insulin and stuff?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Ouch indeed. Hope you get the relief you need Decaff.

Decaff wrote:What will you have to do diet wise pseudonym apart from no sugar? Will you need insulin and stuff?
Might be able to offset that by losing weight, exercise and diet.

Find out Monday for the diabetes and Tuesday for the BP.

If it's anything like my Relations, no salt, sugar, low carbs, no fruit juice, start on tablets then eventually injections.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A couple of years back my GP started doing an 'Old fart's MOT' for anyone over 40 who they hadn't seen for a while.
When I went for mine they had to go back fourteen years to find a data-point for my blood pressure !
Mind you they weren't happy about my BMI, at my hight I'm supposed to be 12 1/2 stone..... Last time I weighed that I was thirteen and a good four inches shorter.

My weight and having Type 2 diabetes in the family puts my chance of getting it in the next decade up to about 20% :(
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote:A couple of years back my GP started doing an 'Old fart's MOT' for anyone over 40 who they hadn't seen for a while.
When I went for mine they had to go back fourteen years to find a data-point for my blood pressure !
Mind you they weren't happy about my BMI, at my hight I'm supposed to be 12 1/2 stone..... Last time I weighed that I was thirteen and a good four inches shorter.

My weight and having Type 2 diabetes in the family puts my chance of getting it in the next decade up to about 20% :(
This BMI stuff can be so misleading, I'm sure we all know that top level rugby players are 'obese' according to the BMI but even for us lesser mortals its not exactly the best way to gauge 'lardiness', I'm not living in that big river in Egypt but I've always been a heavy unit, even when I was running cross country's most weeks (and training) and hardly doing any upper body I was at the top end of my height/weight charts, if I was doing serious weights I would be over weight and when I let myself 'go'..... :oops: Somethings gonna kill us and the diabetes is a good bet for me too, my old man got it in his 70's and controls it by food and pills, he was more of a pie eater than me although I'm more of a bevvy merchant so get my sugar that way. Old age catches up with us at some point, I've got arthritis in an elbow, a few dodgy ribs and I've collected exercise induced asthma along the way, on the other hand I'm glad I've lived long enough for them to catch up with me. :D

We should maybe rename the site, "I remember when I used to prep" and we can all reminisce about it, before we catch that Alzheimers that's doing the rounds :lol:
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

I do love the GPs, they dish out pills like smarties. Generally speaking diet, weight and exercise is where it all goes wrong. We live in a lazy world full of sugar. Our bodies are fine well balanced pieces of kit that far outweigh the complexity of any super computer. Its like lighting a good fire, the right mix of ingredients and knowing how to put them together gives you a corker of a blaze.

- Type 2 diabetes is more often than not reversible
- High blood pressure is also reversible, generally
High cholesterol is also not the end of the world

They are a set of risk factors together with age, sex, weight or the risky BMI businness mentioned, smoking status and family history. If you tip the balance back in your favor with the weight and diet bit the rest will generally sort its self out. Tablets will not fix the underlying cause but just the symptoms. Healthy diets and exercise will, but GPs know that most people will not do that bit or at least not to make a difference meaning tablets tablets seem like the least restrictive option.

Understand diabetes properly and blood sugar and what it means and it suddenly becomes easy to fix