Medicine List

Medical and Healthcare
ParamedicPrepper

Medicine List

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

A list of meds. Has took a while as trying to find time whilst doing some extra study. Have a list in word document much better laid out. Pm email if you want a copy!

Over the counter medicines fall into two categories: GSL or general sales list meds can be bought over the counter anywhere. Supermarkets and corner shops can stock these drugs up to a certain pack size; to limit buying medicines without seeking help for a condition. P medicines or pharmacy only medicines can be bought in a chemist only under the supervision of a pharmacist. Some of these P meds may be GSL as well but generally will be in larger pack sizes. Aspirin for example can only be bought in packs of 16 tablets or less GSL or 32 in a pharmacy.
For prices I used the two best sources I have found and that is Asda or other supermarkets and http://www.pharmacyfirst.com (web) as that is the cheapest I have found P meds. Some GSL meds are also cheap to buy in Poundland

Drug Name Price Brand Name Price Best Price Uses GSL P

Pain Relief

Paracetamol (16) £0.25 Panadol (16) £1.25 Asda Pain, Pyrexia GSL
Ibuprofen (16) £0.25 Nurofen (16) £1.90 Asda Pain, Inflammation GSL
Ibuprofen Gel (30g) £1.40 Nurofen Gel (35g) £4.97 Web Pain, Inflammation GSL
Aspirin 300mg (16) £0.28 Disprin (16) £1.00 Asda Pain, Inflammation GSL
Co-Codamol 8/500mg (32) £0.99 Solpadeine (32) £4.79 Web Moderate Pain GSL

Allergy

Cetirizine (30) £0.79 Zirtek (30) £9.85 Web Allergy - Hayfever GSL
Loratadine (30) £0.89 Clarityn (30) £7.00 Web Allergy - Hayfever GSL
Chlorphenamine (28) £0.79 Piriton (30) £2.49 Web Allergy - General P
Anthisan Cream £1.90 --- --- Asda Bites and Stings GSL
Hydrocortisone Cream £1.29 HC45 £2.95 Web Bites, allergy, Eczema P

Gastrointestinal

Loperamide (30) £3.99 Immodium (18) £5.45 Web Diarrhoea P
Buscopan (20) £2.97 --- --- Asda Stomach Cramps, IBS GSL
Ranitidine (12) £1.00 Gavilast £3.99 Poundland Acid Heart burn GSL
Nexium (7) £5.49 --- --- Web Acid Heart Burn GSL
Milk of magnesia £3.00 --- --- Asda Indigestion, reflux GSL
Dioralyte (6) £3.00 --- --- Rehydration
Deeps

Re: Medicine List

Post by Deeps »

Thanks for taking the time to post it mate.
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

I would recommend solpadeine max rather than co-codamol 8/500, 8mg of codeine is sub-therapeutic but Solpadine max is 12.8mg/500
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

PreparedKent wrote:I would recommend solpadeine max rather than co-codamol 8/500, 8mg of codeine is sub-therapeutic but Solpadine max is 12.8mg/500
I can vouch for Solpadeine Max. It is the only product I use for my headaches and the odd migraine that I get. I suffer bigtime with tension/ stress headaches and 99% percent of the time a single dose works for me. I use the effervescent tablets as that's what I prefer but I know some people can't stand the taste of them. It's a personal preference thing.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Only thing I wouldn't recommend is paramol dihydrocodeine is very orally bioavailable
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

Surprised kaolin and morphine is not on the list.
If you do suffer from serious migrains then check out "Imigran" it's a tpirtan and can have some funny side effects but it's hard to beat, costly at about £8 a pop but worth it's weight in gold, only 50MG over the counter but GP can give 100MG if needed.

All1

PS what is the best/strongest antihistamine i can buy over the counter?
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

The only reason morphine isn't on the list is its not an over the counter drug is it?
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
ParamedicPrepper

Alloneword wrote:Surprised kaolin and morphine is not on the list.
If you do suffer from serious migrains then check out "Imigran" it's a tpirtan and can have some funny side effects but it's hard to beat, costly at about £8 a pop but worth it's weight in gold, only 50MG over the counter but GP can give 100MG if needed.

All1

PS what is the best/strongest antihistamine i can buy over the counter?
Kaolin and morphine is a bit old school if you like. There are plenty of other OTC meds that will work just as well or better. Plus you can get some dodgy looks buying from a pharmacy as if left to settle you can siphon off the morphine and a certain clientelle would abuse it.

Imigran is relatively new OTC but very effective. Quite expensive and does come with horrible side effects. Generally take it feel like you are dying 30 mins later sleep for an hour and you are fixed lol generally speaking. You also have to answer certain questions to be able to purchase (in good pharmacies anyway)

Antihistamines: piriton/Chlorphenamine is a pharmacy only drug but quick acting with a short half life. If you have an allerguc reaction this is best and we give it IM in anaphylaxis.

If it is long acting hayfever relief or animal allergy thwn loratadine or cetirizine one a day would work fine. It is non drowsy unlike piriton and only one a day. Works best when taken regular everyday
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

You learn something new everyday, time to stock up on piriton for emergency IV use!

You can still get codeine linctus which is good for all manner of ailmets
ParamedicPrepper

PreparedKent wrote:You learn something new everyday, time to stock up on piriton for emergency IV use!

You can still get codeine linctus which is good for all manner of ailmets
I went to a chap that drank two whole bottles of that as he could not sleep! He was very sedate shall we say with a respiratory rate of about 3 a minute!