Cheap medicines you should all have

Medical and Healthcare
ParamedicPrepper

Re: Cheap medicines you should all have

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

lee3 wrote:I knew I would want to pick your brains about something....I am pretty well stocked with over the counter shtuff and every now and then I go through the use by dates and replace as necessary..... However I don't bin the out of date items....I keep them....only for shtf situations....I am under the impression that these won't become harmfull as time passes...just possibly less effective?...what do you think
Thanks
Lee
So again two situations. Normally bin them when out of date and replace as they are relatively cheap to replace. Some meds become less effective after a certain period of time and some would keep for 20 years past the Use by date. When producing medicines the company can never keep the conditions the drugs are made in sterile. Drugs are generally sensitive to light, temperature and moisture. The drug companies have a set time limit they can put on their drugs and because of that we do not really know if they are stable beyond that but logic would say yes they are. When I was in pharmacy, medicines information service, there were lots of inquiries about use by dates and the drug companies always returned the answer of 'not tested past those dates so we have no data to support an answer'.

SHTF keep them as they will come in handy and use them as you need to. Benefit and risk in medicine and I would say where the benefit outweighs the risk then use it (generally with the risk being it is less effective after the date rather than harmful). Some exceptions to that rule is Adrenaline and Glyceryl Trinitrate; very sensitive to heat and pretty much useless after a couple of months post use by date.

Again my opinion and what I would do but your choice in that situation.
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Hi ,just maybe a thought for folks in terms of meds .If you have any kind of health conditions please always check that there are no contra indications for taking other meds .
lee3

Post by lee3 »

Thank you
I'm in area 1
unsure

Post by unsure »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:
unsure wrote:well , we`ve just been going trough the medicine`s box and it looks like we`re ok for basic painkillers , but seem we`re coming up short on the stuff to stop the runs .
the question is how much of the stuff do you consider enough .
In an everyday situation I would suggest allowing diarrhoea and vomiting to run it's course. If you are fit and healthy and manage to sip small amounts of water often, then allow your body to do what it does best. Loperamide will slow gut motility and stop the body from expelling the bug that caused the diarrhoea in the beginning. After 24 to 48 hours if it is still profuse and you are feeling weak and thirsty (signs of dehydration) then use loperamide and if necessary seek help is the general advice.

SHTF situations are not the norm. If you develop diarrhoea it is probably going to be because of contaminated water or meat (usually poultry). You could let your body run with it and drink plenty of water and rehydration salts. If that water is sparse and diarrhoea lasts longer than 24 hours then knock back the drugs. Two to start with and then one after each loose motion, upto 6 in 24 hours.

Again don't forget the Dioralyte salts they contain the perfect amount of salts the body needs. I would never use more than 3 or 4 capsules in the first 24 hours personally because they have a delayed effect and you will be constipated for the next 5 days.

Again all my opinion from what I have seen and experienced but seems to work best. Loperamide is relatively expensive so don't over buy as you will waste money when they go out of date. Remember Loperamide is the active ingredient in Immodium and comes in a generic form at half the price! I keep 2 boxes of 30 purchased from pharmacy first online

thanks for the answer , dioralyte we all so have in , just mot a lot of it
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
womble

Post by womble »

My medicine-to-stock list includes decongestants: pseudephrine and phenylephrine work well for me. Makes functioning with a snotty nose bearable, and stops sinus-based headaches developing. Again, the generic unbranded drug is just as effective as the branded, and a fraction of the price. Decongestants like these are contra-indicated for anyone with hypertension though.

Cold remedies often combine one of these with an analgesic and possibly caffiene. I've always thought it's better to have the separate active agents available so that you can control the dosage of each one if you need to.
Last edited by womble on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Can you buy Pseudoephedrine over the counter not as sudafed or similar?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
ParamedicPrepper

preparedsurrey wrote:Can you buy Pseudoephedrine over the counter not as sudafed or similar?
I have yet to find generic tablet form pseudoephedrine. You can get generic nasal sprays and there are combination products as I buy asda cold and flu or similar which has paracetamol and caffeine aswell. It is kind of against my own rules to do so but cheapest way to do it in all honesty
covertcolin

Post by covertcolin »

ParamedicPrepper wrote:I am currently a paramedic and previous to that I was a Pharmacy Technician so it is fair to say i know my medicines!

The medicines I am going to list are all available from your local pharmacy or supermarket. They are very effective if used in the right way.

Firstly the biggest problem I have is around cost of drugs. Paracetamol and ibuprofen together make for awesome pain relief. A box of each would cost less than a pound and last several days. You can buy the same drugs in brand form such as panadol and nurofen. They work no better than the generic drugs but cost 3 to 4 times the amount. They work no different whether branded or not.

Pain

Paracetamol - temperature and pain - 30p for 16 tablets. The adult dose is 2 tabs not 1! 1 will not work.
Brands: panadol, anadin

Ibuprofen - temperature, pain and swelling. 40p for 16. Take with food or they can cause stomach upset when taken for a long time.
Brands: nurofen

Co-codamol 8/500mg - moderate to severe pain. 80p for 32. This is a pharmacy only drug, but can be bought from a pharmacy without a prescription.

Gastro

Loperamide - anti diarrhoea - £2 for 12 capsules. Great for preventing dehydration
Brands: immodium

Oral salts - rehydration - £2 for 6 sachets. Contain just the right amount of salts to rehydrate
Brands: dioralyte

Ranitidine - heartburn - £1.50 for 12. Great for heartburn and bloating
Brands: zantac

Buscopan - anti spasmodic - £3 to £5. Great for diarrhoea cramps

Allergy

Loratadine - hayfever/allergy - 1.50 for 30
Brands: clarityn

Chlorphenamine - allergy - 2.00 for 20. Pharmacy only drug
Brands: piriton

Theres plenty more but a few of the basics that you can stock up on cheap in comparison to the brand prices. Always follow the directions on the pack and do not mix products containing paracetamol obviously!

[/hi- great post, thanks for sharing.

I have briefly looked through replies so forgive me if this is covered in here.

but its important to include a few more details when advising on medicines IMO:

1) be aware of quantities per day- i.e. 2 paracetamol but maximum QDS or 8 per day, brufen TDS or three times per day etc.

2) if history of asthma or stomach ulcer/gastric bleed then avoid 'brufen type meds (NSAIDS)- be mindful of your medical history and check the packaging to make sure safe for you

3) always read the patient information leaflet (PIL) enclosed and store this with the medicines in kits for example.

4) cautions with medicines such as aspirin and making sure no contraindications or risk of severe side effects

5) caution with medicines such as cocodamol as side effects can include constipation and even become problematic/ form dependence- that you definitely do not need in a SHTF moment :-)

hope don't mind me jumping on here.

CC

ParamedicPrepper

As you quite rightly say, you should be aware of these things all of which are on the box or info leaflet inside as I said. So always read the leaflet and you should be ok. Although the leaflet does include every side effect ever reported to the MHRA that are believed to be related to the medicine. So one of the side effects for cyclizine, an anti sickness is actually nausea! So take the side effects with a pinch of salt.

Most OTC drugs are pretty safe and tried and tested hence why they can be sold without formal advice. If you take meds that interact with OTC meds you should see on the label or advice when dispensed from the pharmacist.

Just highlighting that you can care for yourself without medical help much better than most think, so from a preppers point of view stock up!
covertcolin

Post by covertcolin »

Yep. Cool. Im totally with you on educating healthcare