burns gel

Medical and Healthcare
Captain Darling

Re: burns gel

Post by Captain Darling »

Yeah salt, sugar or honey can work in place of proper medical care, but only as a last resort. Likewise chewing tobacco and tobasco sauce can be used for temporary dental fillings.

Proper, purpose designed medical media is best. If you can't get access to that then there are alternatives, but they really should be last ditch attempts, not go to options.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Captain Darling wrote:Yeah salt, sugar or honey can work in place of proper medical care, but only as a last resort. Likewise chewing tobacco and tobasco sauce can be used for temporary dental fillings.

Proper, purpose designed medical media is best. If you can't get access to that then there are alternatives, but they really should be last ditch attempts, not go to options.
I haven't heard that one and I'm a big chilli eater who usually has plenty large bottles of tabasco around the place. I can see the logic of it though.
berbie

Post by berbie »

It is also widely alleged, again please do your own research, that paprika can be used on an open wound to stem blood flow. It is also supposed to have antibacterial qualities. I'm always sceptical about such claims but then throughout history, before "medicines" we used what was available. Medicine makes such remedies unnecessary but not ineffective.
prepperG

Post by prepperG »

For burns irrigate with water for 10min if poss, if no water avail water jet dressings are great but they do make cleaning the wound after harder.
burns wrap is good and waterjet can be used over top as the cooling works by evaporation.
as far as for small wounds go don't forget the risk of hypothermia, max 10% coverage by waterjet or you could have problems. burns wrap is good for pain relief as it keeps the air off the burn but don't forget analgesia.
Also burns will cause fluid loss.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Captain Darling wrote:Yeah salt, sugar or honey can work in place of proper medical care, but only as a last resort. Likewise chewing tobacco and tobasco sauce can be used for temporary dental fillings.

How does that work, do you try and put it in the filling or what? Not heard this one before.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

When I got my third degree burns a few years back (do NOT sit in a tailor position dressed in shorts using a heat gun :oops: , very very bad idea, because the skin doesn't become like charcoal, it becomes this grayish powder) they didn't use any gel, just sterile compresses and rinsed the burns with water from the tap (we have more or less sterile water in our taps). They said that the new directions stated that the injury needed air to heal.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Honey is really, really good for burns, something to do with the natural sugars.

A friend of mine used to work for Advancis medical, a company which makes burns dressings for hospitals etc and most of their stuff is made with Manuka Honey (look them up online)

I've used it myself and had great results, use clean water for the recommended time to cool the burn then heat up some honey to sterilise it, apply to the skin when its cooled and apply a dressing, change like a normal dressing.

I used the exact routine after a mate had laser treatment on a tattoo years ago (this is with the older style lasers where burns were common) they gave him some cream to put on the burn, i told him to use honey and he frowned and laughed so i left him to it, but after a few days of applying it, he came to me saying it was really sore, i had a look at it and the skin looked wrinkled and wet, like your fingertips after a long bath, i checked the cream which although it had a few chemicals in it, the main ingredient was 'aqua' so all it was doing is keeping it wet.

I cleaned the burned area with sterile water, applied some honey and a clean dressing, told him to remove, clean it and reapply every day. overnight, the soreness was gone and within a week the burn had gone.

Good stuff, natural and can be bought and stored anywhere. If stored right honey doesn't go off either. :D
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Burns gels are good at soothing the burn and helping with the pain. If a burn hurts then great you have not burnt down to far and still have nerve endings causing you pain. Plenty of water. Clean water from a tap is fine. Cover with cling fim to stop air getting to burn initially to help with pain. Place a layer of cling film Do not wrap limbs with cling film as it can cause problems when the burn swells. Oral pain relief as early as possible and repeat accordung to directions.

Burns gel is good but provides relief for a short period until it warms to the body temperature. If you have it use it if not no big deal. Plenty of water is the best.

Do not pop the blisters intentionally and keep very clean with non adherent dressings. No fluffy cotton wool, no toothpaste or vaseline ir any ointments, they hurt and do not help secondary healing.

Burns gel is expensive and good old fashioned water is generally not. In a SHTF situation with no water then maybe a good idea.

All burns kits should have clingfilm
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I have propolis gel which is fabulous for burns, antiseptic and very cooling on the skin. Should you get scarring then Bio oil is good along with vitamin E oil or cream or wheat germ oil.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Aloe Vera ,brilliant stuff and my wife grows them .burns heal real quick and I was a sceptic before I needed it.