burns gel

Medical and Healthcare
kernewek

burns gel

Post by kernewek »

I've noticed most of the gels in the chemist say for small burns. Does that mean that you would not use them for a more significant injury?
Captain Darling

Re: burns gel

Post by Captain Darling »

I think its partially to discourage people with larger burns treating themselves and staying at home with no further care. Burns over 1% (the palm of the casualties hand) really need to be seen by medical professionals.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'd agree with the above post, same with the sprays, which are better than the gels IMHO.
Will say that as a former chef that's had an awful lot of burns over the years, regardless of the size (although very large burns can put you into shock) if it hurts then you're probably OK, just treat it in the normal way (NOT WITH ICE, seen so many people do that, including Gordon Ramsey, but it does more damage) but see a doc if you think you need to, if it stops hurting pretty much immediately then you've burned deep enough to damage the nerves and the under layers of your skin and you'll need to see a doctor, burn gel or not, had a nasty one like that on the inside of my forearm that needed a graft, but looked and felt fine at the time, even finished my shift without a problem, only realised how bad it was when it started to go grey and look like cooked meat.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I'd agree with the above post, same with the sprays, which are better than the gels IMHO.
I'd imagine the sprays are easier to administer.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

They're easier to use definitely, you're also not touching the burn so less pain and risk of infection or breaking the damaged skin.
The ones I've used, (forget the brand but they came in kitchen burn kits) also kind of sizzled as they went on, guessing it's the propellant or something in it evaporating, and it takes the edge off the pain straight away. I found the gels ok, and they probably helped prevent further damage and infection, definitely think the sprays are more worthwhile though.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
redskies

Post by redskies »

I'd be tempted to just use aloe vera, tbh. Bloody brilliant stuff on burns and you can grow it then harvest it yourself. As soon as the gel in the leaves is exposed to air, it becomes a runny juice which works fine in spray bottles - and you can get those in most chemists.

As those above have said, if it's more than 1%, off to the professionals you go. One of the biggest problems with burns is infection. Your skin isn't just there to keep your insides in and stop you from grossing everyone else out, it's also the biggest barrier to infection you have. So when it's damaged, you have a problem, and that problem can get very big, very quick if you're not careful.
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

Are the gels and sprays something you're just supposed to use if there's no water to run the wound under or can you use them after you've finished doing that? ?
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

With the spray, use it straight away, then cold water, then a light spray again, (it leaves a powdery residue) the sprays cool the burn quicker than water, so liberal spray straight away, then water for a few minutes, then the light dusting will help stop it getting infected, only exception to that is if the burn is from hot oil or fat, that needs washing off first as it'll create a barrier.
With the gel I would use water first, but it will definitely help even if you don't have access to clean water, but you want to cool it with the water, then use the gel to soothe the pain and prevent infection.

Another tip, if the burn blisters, don't pop it, it'll pop eventually regardless, but the blister is there to protect the new skin that's forming underneath it, so the longer you can keep the blister the better, pop it too soon and you'll have an open wound that's vulnerable to infection, hurts, and the scarring will be much worse. If you manage to keep the blister for as long as it needs to be there when it does pop you'll have no pain and nice new skin underneath.
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

I think honey or sugar is supposed to be good, I must have seen it somewhere but sure I spoke to an ex squaddie about it and he told me they used to treat many injuries with sugar held in place with a bandage.

Look it up I could be wrong
berbie

Post by berbie »

northern bloke wrote:I think honey or sugar is supposed to be good, I must have seen it somewhere but sure I spoke to an ex squaddie about it and he told me they used to treat many injuries with sugar held in place with a bandage.

Look it up I could be wrong
Honey is supposed to be very good for all cuts and abrasions.