Strength and fitness

Medical and Healthcare
Arzosah

Re: Strength and fitness

Post by Arzosah »

This is particularly important to me right now. I have a chronic fatigue thing going on, and over the seasonal change I get a slight background lurgy, then on Friday I had an allergy attack (like a migraine without the visual disturbance) and then yesterday, when I got out into the garden to start getting it ready for winter, I hurt my lower back :( because I haven't been able to be very active in the last few weeks. Bit of a mess right now.

I swear, as soon as I can stand up from a chair without yelling in pain, I'm going to do lower back exercises....
Cjtw

Post by Cjtw »

Thread is a week or two dead now, but thought I would just contribute.

I run pretty often, 4-5 times a week. At the moment I'm training for a half-marathon for the first time! I usually run 5KM races and let me tell you that if even if you just do a parkrun once a month or something with a mate or family member - you will see your fitness skyrocket. It's so useful in everyday life to have more stamina and in a SHTF situation, I think you'll be thanking your past self for being able to run 3.1 miles in 20-25 minutes. I reckon mid-distance running could be invaluable if it all goes south.

Just my thoughts.
i11matic1795

Post by i11matic1795 »

Cjtw wrote:Thread is a week or two dead now, but thought I would just contribute.

I run pretty often, 4-5 times a week. At the moment I'm training for a half-marathon for the first time! I usually run 5KM races and let me tell you that if even if you just do a parkrun once a month or something with a mate or family member - you will see your fitness skyrocket. It's so useful in everyday life to have more stamina and in a SHTF situation, I think you'll be thanking your past self for being able to run 3.1 miles in 20-25 minutes. I reckon mid-distance running could be invaluable if it all goes south.

Just my thoughts.
This is something I need to start again, I used to run a couple of years ago and did enjoy it, it's a great prep also, what if somebody tries to rob you? You can run away and be confident you probably won't get outran, especially with adrenaline on your side. Then there's the eventuality of a serious SHTF scenario, stamina will be very helpful, whether for walking long distance or running. Some general full body workouts will be worth doing for this sort of situation as well, pulling yourself up and over walls, carrying a pack all day every day etc.

I think the problem is that the first few weeks of running are the worst and a lot of people don't get past that stage because they give up early, through not enjoying it in general or burning themselves out and ending up too tired/injured.