st john's

Medical and Healthcare
PreppingPingu

st john's

Post by PreppingPingu »

As part of my personal skills preps, I have joined st john's. As I have before, being a first aider at work involves sporadic training (once every 3 years for my paediatric first aid) and I don't get much experience - which as far as those I look after is good, but from a knowledge point of view, its not!! So as I have enjoyed learning and have a desire to be more prepared, I am volunteering with them. Yes it is just first aid, though I am looking to become a first responder once I have a bit more exp and training under my belt. Even the basics of good wound hygiene and dressing can make a difference. Psycologically, having someone come to your help can work wonders too. No I am not expecting to become a field surgeon! I am how ever expecting to keep basic training up to date and in practice, so in an event, I can be of some use. Skills are a big prep and can be traded. I am just going to see where this new skilll set will lead me.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Deeps

Re: st john's

Post by Deeps »

PreppingPingu wrote:As part of my personal skills preps, I have joined st john's. As I have before, being a first aider at work involves sporadic training (once every 3 years for my paediatric first aid) and I don't get much experience - which as far as those I look after is good, but from a knowledge point of view, its not!! So as I have enjoyed learning and have a desire to be more prepared, I am volunteering with them. Yes it is just first aid, though I am looking to become a first responder once I have a bit more exp and training under my belt. Even the basics of good wound hygiene and dressing can make a difference. Psycologically, having someone come to your help can work wonders too. No I am not expecting to become a field surgeon! I am how ever expecting to keep basic training up to date and in practice, so in an event, I can be of some use. Skills are a big prep and can be traded. I am just going to see where this new skilll set will lead me.
There's definite benefits to being up to date with first aid, even at a rudimentary level, I've done the course a few times over the years, the procedures change from time to time and I really should see if I can do it again, I'm rusty to say the least.

Good luck with it, as you say, skill(z) are very handy.
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

I did one of the courses a couple months ago, have really good benefits for anyone in a prepping team. Had fun as I did it with my girlfriend.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Doing a basics course with them tomorrow - this time with Mrs Hobo and sproglets in tow!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

alwayscross wrote:I did one of the courses a couple months ago, have really good benefits for anyone in a prepping team. Had fun as I did it with my girlfriend.
But what about the course, we need to know. :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Used my training a few times over the past few years a HGV crash, cyclist who had knocked himself out , a work mate who removed a finger, a old woman who had fallen face first into a wall ...

So don't hang about with me ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Another great way to extend your first aid training is to look into becoming a community first responder with your local ambulance service. The trust I work for has a very active CFR training and use them regularly for calls. It really works well for people who live in villages and gives exposure to medical emergencies with back up close behind.
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Best of luck to you.

I joined the Red Cross with much the same aim 3yrs back; however I reacted badly to the epilepsy medication i was put on and an I have to say for a humanitarian organisation they weren't very sympathetic.

A colleague at work told me i should go back as the local boss was no longer the same person - however I'm still gearing myself up to it prepper or not.
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Any opportunity to learn First Aid should be taken up. Remember, YOU and YOUR FAMILY deserve to be safe. I'm the only First Aider in my family. Licence expired now but over 20 years altogether from Red Cross and St. John's with "street" experience.
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Mad Scientist wrote:Any opportunity to learn First Aid should be taken up. Remember, YOU and YOUR FAMILY deserve to be safe. I'm the only First Aider in my family. Licence expired now but over 20 years altogether from Red Cross and St. John's with "street" experience.
Whilst I appreciate your sentiments and as the only person on our street who knew CPR when a neighbour collapsed and was showing no vitals (he had cardio and pulmonary problems) I agree completely - normally.

However put yourself in my shoes, I got the worst side effects of this particular drug, I became depressed had all the classic symptoms of ddepression, I lost interest in things I formerly enjoyed, I stopped eating, my sleep was disturbed, more disturbingly I had paranoid thoughts relating to those who cared about me and I did consider killing myself - this was all brought on by a drug over a certain dosage, and stopped when I came of it almost to the day.

Throughout this the guy from the Red Cross never asked what might be wrong but simply bombarded me with email asking when I was coming back to training or returning my uniform.

We were invited to come along to a Red Cross meeting at our Uni, I know the man has left the regional sector of the Red Cross that I used to attend. I remember his face vividly but his name is blury and as I couldn't entirely place it and thought that there was a possibility it may be I chose not to go.

I joined our own Wild Medics association instead.
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.