Online Suppliers for Pet Medicine

Medical and Healthcare
preparedsurrey

Online Suppliers for Pet Medicine

Post by preparedsurrey »

Firstly mods if this isn't ok please delete it.

My dog takes Metacam (painkiller) regularly, its a fortune from the local (Southern) vets, it was a damn sight cheaper from the vet I used to go to previously up north who would also give a prescription for it so I could buy it on line (cheaper still).

I have had a look at the online suppliers but they all seem to ask for a prescription for it to be sent through with the order (expensive southern vet isn't interested & that will be £25 please for talking to them).

Does anybody have any other website retailer recommendations? (By message if you would prefer)

Just in case anybody is wondering, this is genuinely for animal use, I've got enough prescribed tramadol to take away my own pain!

Thank you very much
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
HBP

Re: Online Suppliers for Pet Medicine

Post by HBP »

Its never cheap when it comes to vet bills. I have been fortunate and never had anything that was hugely expensive or long term but I know plenty of people who have.

As you have discovered, the issue you are going to face is the UK laws on prescription medicines. They apply to both humans and animals.

A UK (and probably an EU supplier) will always want to see a prescription before sending you anything. If you find a supplier abroad who will ship to you, then technically you may be breaking the law but I believe there are quite a few out there who will.

Would it be possible to find another local vet who will provide a prescription for you to buy online.
unsure

Post by unsure »

if at all possible , take the pet up north and go to your old vets , pay them the going rate . ask for a 12 month script , then order on line .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Shes getting a bit old to be laying in the car for 4 or 5 hours now so it doesn't seem fair to take her up for a short visit as it seems to take her a couple of days to get over the journey.
The old vets were really nice and even remembered the dog but understandably enough wouldn't give a prescription without examining her again - they didn't want to charge me for telling me that though!
junmist

Post by junmist »

Could you not phone your old vet up and ask him if he would send you a prescription if you paid for it
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Tried but they want to examine her before prescribing again.
Nate66

Post by Nate66 »

We run into the same thing mate. My golden retriever has epilepsy and has to take libromide. Our local vet charges a fortune for it but only charges £15 for the prescription which we use to buy the meds online for half the price. They do require to see him about once every 3 months for a checkup though which usually runs about £25. Def a whole lot cheaper than the vet purchase though.
Nate66
Area 4

If you are having a bad day, choke the living shit out of the person causing it!
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Phone round a few vets in the area and ask what they charge for a consultation and prescriptions. Register with the cheapest.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Brambles wrote:Phone round a few vets in the area and ask what they charge for a consultation and prescriptions. Register with the cheapest.
This is exactly what a friend of mine did, simply to be able to get the scripts and order on line. There's nothing to stop you from taking the woofer back to your preferred vet having secured cheaper meds
Knowledge is power
Mad Scientist

Great medicine for chickens!

Post by Mad Scientist »

I buy Harker's for my chickens. It's quite cheap on eBay and a small bottle lasts for months. It's actually meant for pigeons but it's brilliant on my birds. Just 3 drops on the skin one day a week for weeks kills all sorts of lice,mites and all sorts. I only dose mine 3 rounds a year. No chickens, no eggs !