An alternative to Antibiotics?

Medical and Healthcare
Brambles

An alternative to Antibiotics?

Post by Brambles »

Winklebury's thread on antibiotics has me wondering exactly what the layman's alternatives are. I rely on good hygiene practices and avoiding illness whenever I can and if not I treat any issues with OTC medication.
What are the alternatives, if there are any?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
featherstick

Re: An alternative to Antibiotics?

Post by featherstick »

Stephen Buhner's book on alternatives is very good, we regularly use a couple of recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Antibiotic ... 1603429875
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

There really is very little that is useful on the alternative scene if you have a clear need for antibiotics, IMHO. There's a reason why thousands of people a year used to die from simple infections. Even today, a rampant staph infection, or a lung infection, or a cut going gangrenous is hard to deal with anything other than proper antibiotics. Even things like thrush can become very challenging without simple creams.

I decided to buy some proper antibiotics and anti-fungals from abroad and ship them in. Yes, there's a risk that they are counterfeit, but there are some good sites out there that have good reviews. I have also tested a few creams and tablets and they seem to work fine.

My view is it's better to have something that might work than nothing.
Others would have a very different view - there is no objectively right answer here.
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Do you have any links Bosworth?
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Vespa wrote:Do you have any links Bosworth?
I've PMd you to avoid the inevitable backlash and likely noise!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I dont know if these are any good but you can get Ciprofloxacin and Azithromycin as a "travelers dose " from online chemists https://www.doctorfox.co.uk/news/travel ... ntibiotic/ it is on prescription and you have to fill in a consultation form but then it says................... :roll:

You may complete more than one consultation and order subsequent medications if required prior to making payment.

the form is about 10 checkboxes :roll:
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

tanstaafl wrote:I dont know if these are any good but you can get Ciprofloxacin and Azithromycin as a "travelers dose " from online chemists https://www.doctorfox.co.uk/news/travel ... ntibiotic/ it is on prescription and you have to fill in a consultation form but then it says................... :roll:

You may complete more than one consultation and order subsequent medications if required prior to making payment.

the form is about 10 checkboxes :roll:
That's helpful - thank you.

It's worth remembering that different antibiotics are needed for different ailments. Lung infections, skin infections, STDs, ear / eye infections etc. all need different antibiotics and different applications (oral, topical, drops etc.).

Anything is better than nothing, but if you're serious about this sort of prep then a number of considerations are needed.
ticklemonkey

Post by ticklemonkey »

I would recommend a wilderness medicine course. They teach you key signs and symptoms of various infections, the best anti-biotics to use and the authority to order them for your kit. They are not for 'self-administration' and illegal to administer in the UK as the skills are to be used when in the middle of a jungle miles from alternative medical help.
The courses are not cheap but having been on them and utilised the skills effectively I would recommend going on one if you can.
unsure

Post by unsure »

ive seen it on other boards , fish cillin . are the same as the type the docs prescribes .
so amoxacillin and other can be bought from ebay or the big pet stores .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... s&_sacat=0
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .