any of you on prescribed meds?

Medical and Healthcare
PreparedKent

any of you on prescribed meds?

Post by PreparedKent »

I am currently on a high dose of a medication called Sertraline, I take it for Anxiety and Depression (had it for years).... Now the pills work, but when I forget to put in a script and run out, I am really ill. Heart palpitations, electric shock feeling, turmoil in my mind.

Has got me thinking what do I do if SHTF? The docs will not give me a long term supply so I imagine I would either have to illegally acquire one or when SHTF while everyone else is looting Tesco I will be holding up my local pharmacist with a crossbow.

Thoughts anyone?
unsure

Re: any of you on prescribed meds?

Post by unsure »

have u thought about looking on line and getting a supply sent to you .maybe a few months worth and rotate as normal with the ones from the doc
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

as a depressive myself my recommendation would be to wean off the drug and get counselling. I had several episodes in the past and lost several months at work due to depression/ stress. I found counselling to be more helpful and weaned off the Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Obviously you will need to talk to your GP about this.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
o0Pleomax0o

Post by o0Pleomax0o »

I am taking the same, however I have managed to get a two month prescription at a time. This has allowed me to build up a shift "stock". There are places online that you can buy in the uk, however 100mg are about £30 for 30 tablets.

Depending on dosage I plan to, if shift to break the tablets i have in half and make them last, the thought being that by the time i run out normal supply will have resumed or the will be far greater things to be concerned about.

I am no doctor but that is my plan YMMV

o0Pleomax0o
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Morphine based pain killers and anti inflamatories for a buggered back, got a couple of months supply in, but should the SHTF and law and order break down long term the only thing i could think of would be growing your own dope to act as a natural pain killer.
I have stopped a couple of times to see what the withdrawal effects were like and its managable although not nice, however the pain without them means I don't sleep at night....
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
cypher

Post by cypher »

My wife takes a number of POM's, 2 of which are classed as a controlled drug, very difficult to get more than 1 months supply, not sure what we will do in a shtf event and we run out.
Area 6
hobo

Post by hobo »

I'm on loads of prescribed meds :( but am working on my diet, exercise and stress levels and hope to reduce my dependence.
Meanwhile the game plan is to slowly build up a stock of meds by reordering them a few days earlier every month. I'm about 2 months ahead at the mo:)
If they suddenly weren't available I'd have to wean myself off slowly and find natural alternatives - I've actually started researching this.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Hamradioop wrote:as a depressive myself my recommendation would be to wean off the drug and get counselling. I had several episodes in the past and lost several months at work due to depression/ stress. I found counselling to be more helpful and weaned off the Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Obviously you will need to talk to your GP about this.
I agree I would go to the doctor and ask him to help you. Mostly a large percentage of the population can beat anxiety/depression with out chemical help but it is a slow hard struggle and one you will have to do every day of your life, all your life. And don't give up if one avenue does not work than try another and be prepared to fight your GP for help if the first couple of alternative therapy's do not work. And remember when you run out of your med's you are going cold turkey so the symptoms will be a lot worse than when you slowly lower the dose you take.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Thanks for the replies... Glad I'm not the only person who is thinking the same :) I think I'm definitely gonna have to look online. Only thing that puts me off is the thought of fake meds
o0Pleomax0o

Post by o0Pleomax0o »

I am no doctor or herbologist, however I have read some articles and St Jon Wort has some potential for the "treatment" of depression.

Might be worth reading up on it, I am also thinking of the phsycological side of things in that it may be better then nothing, and that may be all you need to help you through till the SHTF scenario has lessened a bit and other treatments are available.

Just another thought CBT has helped me no end, but once again YMMV.