Medical School

Medical and Healthcare
Winklebury

Re: Medical School

Post by Winklebury »

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your best wishes.

About the Littmann, there are lots that they offer, nurses, advanced, basic, lightweight, select cardio, which one to get? Some of them really seem to spell pout what they don't do, so how do I choose?

I hope they say once I'm there! Trouble is I am utterly broke, so I am trying to budget (if not actually purchase anything yet) so I know what and where I am and what I need to find.

About the books, I have a source which will reimburse any books, so that isn't as big a hardship, so I can be a little greedy, although O don't want to many books for simple storage issues.

I gather some of you are already at med school, Holomon, dangerman and Mad Scientist? Would anyone fancy PMing me at some point? I wont bog you down with (too many) questions.

I will be studying for 4 years, MBBS4, in London. I have already got a degree, so am doing the graduate entry route. Has anyone else done this?

Anyway, like I said, I will write posts about my experiences and insights, and if in the future anyone fancies having a crack at medicine, I would be happy to answer questions.

Winkle
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Go for the Littmann Classic II SE, that'll be everything you need for as long as you're at med school :)

I left a fair while ago now, but if I can be of any help then just fire me a PM and I'll do what I can.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

Best of luck-go for it-child number 3 is now a qualified doctor-not easy but sooooo worth it.
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Hi, you should find that when you get there LOADS of people will be selling books second hand.

At my Uni there is an organised second hand booksellers. Sadly I didn't know about it and bought quite a few books prior to coming here that I new I would need. Only total bargain was the latest copy of the principles of neural sciences from a medical student who said it was too in depth for his course. If you need it try ebay.

Our lecturers also pass on details of any student selling books.

Plus all the medics have a mentoring system (the auto correct wants to correct that as 'tormenting' I'm tempted) here I don't know how that helps with books.

I'm medical sciences not medicine, although we end up in the same buildings eventually.
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Only thing I would say about Dangerman's comment about the books from torrent sites, we have one guy in our Logic class downloaded his book.
The lecturer is always referring to page numbers and his downloaded book and the lecturers numbers don't tally.

It was OK when we were a few pages into the book but now he is forever zipping through the pages of his tablet to find stuff.

I don't know if this is usual, I've never downloaded a Uni book from a torrent site but - cautionary tale.
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.