Under estimating over the counter medication

Medical and Healthcare
Britcit

Re: Under estimating over the counter medication

Post by Britcit »

This topic got me looking over my stash of OTC meds.
I do have quite a few paracetamol and ibuprofen, and loads of aspirin, but in light of Medusas opening post I would say I'm short of happy with the amounts.
We have approx 15 boxes of paracetamol and the same of ibuprofen and 25 boxes of aspirin.

Will work on building up a few more each time I'm out shopping. I dont have the choice of different shops to go to, but the staff at the 'local' tescos don't seem to mind me getting OTC stuff each time.

On a similar note, I imagine if shtf, a good few immodium would be useful to have so we have stock up on 10 boxes so far.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Got a few immodium too, and some of the stuff that makes you go as well. Could probably do with more of both now you mention it.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have a big stash of otc meds, but some are past the expiry dates, I didn't used to rotate them properly. Got it marked on the outside of the boxes now, in big felt tip - when you **need** ibuprofen etc, its not the best time to be looking at the imprinted expiry date :roll:

There are two words on here I need to research now: lysine and Naproxen. I'm away for a bit though, so not yet :(
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Arzosah wrote:I have a big stash of otc meds, but some are past the expiry dates, I didn't used to rotate them properly. Got it marked on the outside of the boxes now, in big felt tip - when you **need** ibuprofen etc, its not the best time to be looking at the imprinted expiry date :roll:
I write the expiry/BBE on all my stocks with a big ol' black marker: meds, tins, jars, boxes. The old eyesight isn't so good and I can't be arsed to squint to work out which one to open next when I'm feeling peckish/ill/bored. With paracetamol etc. I seem to recall someone posting a link a while back on tests done on meds some 50 years after their exipry date had expired and the dry tablet/powder ones were still at something like 90% efficacy. So I wouldn't worry about a couple of years past making any difference. "Wet" meds/creams were a different story.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: I write the expiry/BBE on all my stocks with a big ol' black marker: meds, tins, jars, boxes. The old eyesight isn't so good and I can't be arsed to squint to work out which one to open next when I'm feeling peckish/ill/bored. With paracetamol etc. I seem to recall someone posting a link a while back on tests done on meds some 50 years after their exipry date had expired and the dry tablet/powder ones were still at something like 90% efficacy. So I wouldn't worry about a couple of years past making any difference. "Wet" meds/creams were a different story.
Ditto and for the same reasons. :roll: :D

Here's a thread about expiration dates on medicines,

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15046&p=169174&hil ... te#p169174
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Arzosah wrote:I write the expiry/BBE on all my stocks with a big ol' black marker: meds, tins, jars, boxes

me too! This is a good thread, I went and counted up my stocks and 700 paracetamol and 300 ibropohen later, I reckoned i'd not done too bad but the immodeum stocks were woeful as was several other things when you start counting for all the family for up to a week or more. Like most of us I suspect we look at a pile of packets and feel smug - until you do the sums ...
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote:I have a big stash of otc meds, but some are past the expiry dates, I didn't used to rotate them properly. Got it marked on the outside of the boxes now, in big felt tip - when you **need** ibuprofen etc, its not the best time to be looking at the imprinted expiry date :roll:

There are two words on here I need to research now: lysine and Naproxen. I'm away for a bit though, so not yet :(
Lysine makes ibuprofen work faster. Plus ibuprofen lysine often has more milligrams of ibuprofen. The brand names market them as migraine relief or for period pain, in separate packaging, with the migraine one being about 20p more expensive than the one for period pain (or vice versa) when they have exactly the same ingredients! :evil:

So I buy the much cheaper generic Galpharm from Savers :mrgreen:

I need to do the expiry date marker thing. Project for this weekend I think.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Poundland do the Galpharm brand too.That brand of ' flu remedy' is spot on.I do like the idea of marking the expiry date on the packet,my eyesight ain't so good either these days.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

A point to note. When I buy my 2 pack quota I always put both packs into a single pack since plenty of space. Making sure both packs have same dates. That way increase stocks
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Le Mouse wrote: Lysine makes ibuprofen work faster. Plus ibuprofen lysine often has more milligrams of ibuprofen. The brand names market them as migraine relief or for period pain, in separate packaging, with the migraine one being about 20p more expensive than the one for period pain (or vice versa) when they have exactly the same ingredients! :evil:
Yeah, I know I'm quoting myself, but I did some fact checking, i.e. I properly looked at the side of the packet :lol: The tablets have 200mg ibuprofen in the format of ibuprofen lysine which has more milligrams because of the lysine. There are no extra milligrams of actual painkiller.