Major Sun Burn - worth keeping treatment

Medical and Healthcare
Meta

Major Sun Burn - worth keeping treatment

Post by Meta »

Hi Guys,

I assume that someone has discussed before, but I have just got back from Marmaris in Turkey where we were out for long periods of time in 40+ temp.

Needless to say even with sun block etc, there were some pretty bad burns appearing (myself included - particularly on my right shoulder where I have some damaged skin anyway). Having tried lots of different solutions over the years, this is what works for us to get the healing process happening faster:

Light redness / children skin = we use baby oil immediately after long exposure (with the kids even if they haven't burnt).

Tea Tree gel = adults with tender / sore burns that don't need medical attention. This is what I always use and it just works perfectly for me and mine.

May not be of use to anyone, but thought its worth sharing as there were a few families out with us who ended us 'borrowing' the oil and gel to sooth their skin & get decent a nights sleep as a lot of the stuff they could get out there were not much use...
own your situation before it owns you
Decaff

Re: Major Sun Burn - worth keeping treatment

Post by Decaff »

Ouch!! Sunburn is nasty, best to prevent rather than cure, I found the Ultrasun to ge the best, put it on in the morning before dressing, non greasy, not white or chalky looking and lasts practically all day, waterproof and removes in the shower. I burn really badly very quickly and this is the only one that works for me, pricey but well worth protecting your skin.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

A tomato cut in half and rubbed in to sunburnt skin will provide quick relief. And tomatoes are readily available.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

featherstick wrote:A tomato cut in half and rubbed in to sunburnt skin will provide quick relief. And tomatoes are readily available.

I didn't know that!! :shock: Mind you, anyone at chez Decaff doing anything other than eating the tomatoes will be dealt with severely, they are only just starting to ripen! 8-)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Don't put greasy creams onto burnt skin until it has cooled down (24 hours)... Keep some aloe Vera gel in the minibar fridge. It cools and soothes.
Meta

Post by Meta »

PreparedKent wrote:Don't put greasy creams onto burnt skin until it has cooled down (24 hours)... Keep some aloe Vera gel in the minibar fridge. It cools and soothes.
Good tip - thanks
Meta

Post by Meta »

Decaff wrote:Ouch!! Sunburn is nasty, best to prevent rather than cure, I found the Ultrasun to ge the best, put it on in the morning before dressing, non greasy, not white or chalky looking and lasts practically all day, waterproof and removes in the shower. I burn really badly very quickly and this is the only one that works for me, pricey but well worth protecting your skin.
I agree in preventing first, but was out for 8+ hours in 46 degree heat, I do use ultra sun & reapplied twice through the day, but still managed to get blistering on some scar tissue. Managed to get rid of it in less than 12 hours which is always a bonus :)
Meta

Post by Meta »

featherstick wrote:A tomato cut in half and rubbed in to sunburnt skin will provide quick relief. And tomatoes are readily available.
I wonder what is in the tomato to sooth (and does it work with tomato sauce :mrgreen: ) - be worth looking out for things with the active ingredient in thanks.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Meta wrote:
Decaff wrote:Ouch!! Sunburn is nasty, best to prevent rather than cure, I found the Ultrasun to ge the best, put it on in the morning before dressing, non greasy, not white or chalky looking and lasts practically all day, waterproof and removes in the shower. I burn really badly very quickly and this is the only one that works for me, pricey but well worth protecting your skin.
I agree in preventing first, but was out for 8+ hours in 46 degree heat, I do use ultra sun & reapplied twice through the day, but still managed to get blistering on some scar tissue. Managed to get rid of it in less than 12 hours which is always a bonus :)
I'm for prevention too, and I've heard very good things about ultra sun, and aloe vera gel .... my current cream is spf 50. Between my immediate family and my cousins, nearly everyone has had skin cancer or preventive treatment for it, except me. I would never, ever voluntarily be out in hot weather for anything like that amount of time **faints**.

We have other assorted skin conditions in the family as a whole, and doctors have mentioned to me specifically about how thin my facial skin is (when I was in my 30s).
Meta

Post by Meta »

Arzosah wrote:
Meta wrote:
I'm for prevention too, and I've heard very good things about ultra sun, and aloe vera gel .... my current cream is spf 50. Between my immediate family and my cousins, nearly everyone has had skin cancer or preventive treatment for it, except me. I would never, ever voluntarily be out in hot weather for anything like that amount of time **faints**.

We have other assorted skin conditions in the family as a whole, and doctors have mentioned to me specifically about how thin my facial skin is (when I was in my 30s).

Sorry to hear that, I'm quite lucky in my family history that we don't seem to suffer with any skin conditions. The trip was only supposed to be 4 hours, but we all were having so much fun (quad bikes and jeeps) we carried on for the afternoon :)