What flavour are you ?

Medical and Healthcare
Decaff

Re: What flavour are you ?

Post by Decaff »

I have had a few nasty bites this year, to stop the itching I use white toothpaste on the bites and this stops the itch, scratch cycle. No idea why it works, but it does!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Decaff wrote:I have had a few nasty bites this year, to stop the itching I use white toothpaste on the bites and this stops the itch, scratch cycle. No idea why it works, but it does!
Good to know Decaff, you've jogged a wee memory, I think I've heard this before but forgotten. The midgies are supposed to be really bad this year too. :(
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Deeps wrote:
Decaff wrote:I have had a few nasty bites this year, to stop the itching I use white toothpaste on the bites and this stops the itch, scratch cycle. No idea why it works, but it does!
Good to know Decaff, you've jogged a wee memory, I think I've heard this before but forgotten. The midgies are supposed to be really bad this year too. :(
It's a strange thing, no idea why it works, but after being over the Lottie this afternoon, I am covered with bites... :( toothpaste will be rubbed in before bed, that's when they itch the most.

Did manage to harvest a couple of lettuce to go with dinner tonight, along with the first red strawberry! ;)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Decaff wrote:
Deeps wrote:
It's a strange thing, no idea why it works, but after being over the Lottie this afternoon, I am covered with bites... :( toothpaste will be rubbed in before bed, that's when they itch the most.

Did manage to harvest a couple of lettuce to go with dinner tonight, along with the first red strawberry! ;)

A hot spoon works too. Hot as you can stand it, apply to bite and hold there. Something to do with heat killing off whatever causes the itch.

I'm told that regular marmite eaters are fairly immune.

Me, I just get eaten, no matter what; I hate midgies, but the wee barstewards seem to have me on some sort of gourmet menu :?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I think the itch is caused by a Histamine reaction, so an anti-histamine cream or something like hay-fever tablets should help.

On flexing my Google I found this http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-inse ... tment.aspx
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Yeah, the itching is caused by histamines, I always carry some hay fever tablets in midgie places in Summer, though I don't take them if it's just a few bites. I second Lifesystems as the best deterrent I've found, the fabled Skin So Soft didn't do much for me (except give me lovely soft skin) though right enough, I don't know how long it was on the shelf before I bought it.

Another must have for me is a clicker thing. Don't know the technical term, it's a gizmo similar to a gas cooker lighter that puts an electric charge through the bite. The sound is a bit anti-social in shared bothies, but the effect is good and the relief instant, though it does wear off after half an hour or so.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Captain Darling wrote:The lesser spotted grizzly mosquito, found on military training areas world wide (esp BATUS) are capable of defending air space from anything up to the size of a Spectre gunship.

However, the little buggers don't like garlic tablets (neither do my insides, but needs must) and Life Systems mosquito repellent.

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/ ... plus-spray
I'll have to try the garlic idea, I like normal garlic anyway, although her indoors wont speak to me (so a plus both ways) :lol:
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I appear to be very tasty this year :x I am covered in bites! I seem to collect them every time I go over the Lottie, I am running out of bite free skin! :lol:

Garlic is not working for me, I eat it most days in my food and still I am feasted on, I may have to resort to making myself a special outfit from scaffold netting, we were given a huge strip to cover potential brassicas.

With the bites and major sunburn I currently have my poor skin is a mess and im not going to mention the state of my once beautiful finger nails!!! :shock: