My bob/ghb 1st Aid Kit

Medical and Healthcare
janso

My bob/ghb 1st Aid Kit

Post by janso »

Trawlerman wrote:
janso wrote:I know the reason you're carrying loctite superglue but it's definitely not the same as medical suturing glue; you might want to query it further. General sutures might be a better choice to carry

That's a very good point. I'll look into whether this stuff is suitable for that use. I'll also be looking out for some butterfly stitches. I think suturing is bit beyond my skill level - I have a 1st aid certificate but not for advanced stuff like that.
I meant 'butterfly' sutures which can be bought in any chemist. No training needed, or even cut plasters up into strips for the same job.
If you're packing drugs then make sure you don't give them to others or at least let them take them on their own accord. By law you're not a chemist so should not dispense drugs. I know it sounds silly but without patient history you could make something worse and we know what happens when there's a blame in the modern world! Believe it or not, even medical oxygen is still marked down as a drug to be administered!
There are contra indications that even the patient might not know about.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Trawlerman

Re: My bob/ghb 1st Aid Kit

Post by Trawlerman »

The drugs are more for my own use. I know what they are what dosages I can take.

I'm Diabetic so the insulin vials are just spares my main kit. Same as the glucagen kit. I make a point of letting others know what to do if we're away from civilisation.

I often have a dicky stomach and the windsettlers/imodium stuff works wonders. TBH the only other person I would ever give drugs to is my old man who is often out with me.

Everything here is off the shelf stuff barring the Insulin and i doubt if anybody would want to shoot up my insulin. Even those that abuse substance know better than that. There is no high from it at all. It would likely kill anybody who is not Diabetic.
Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
janso

My bob/ghb 1st Aid Kit

Post by janso »

Cool; wise move making people aware of your needs whilst out and about. May I suggest as a caution, making them also aware of where it's carried if you need a hit! Sounds a bit pedantic but I'm a stickler for that, especially asthma pumps when I take a group out. Cuts the faff, and gets the treatment accessible soonest. A good selection of aid packed in their though bud!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Jack the Lad

Post by Jack the Lad »

Trawler man, if your ever on hessle road pop into the arco shop, you'll pick up some great bargains, it changes from week to week but well worth a 5min check if you go past, last week I got some £60 chain saw boots for £15, 10 pp3 masks for £3, 4 boiler suits £20 and 10 paper coveralls for £10 8-)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jack the Lad wrote:Trawler man, if your ever on hessle road pop into the arco shop, you'll pick up some great bargains, it changes from week to week but well worth a 5min check if you go past, last week I got some £60 chain saw boots for £15, 10 pp3 masks for £3, 4 boiler suits £20 and 10 paper coveralls for £10 8-)

Wow I didn't realise the outlet was that cheap! Then visit Winfield's :-o
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Jack the Lad wrote:Trawler man, if your ever on hessle road pop into the arco shop, you'll pick up some great bargains, it changes from week to week but well worth a 5min check if you go past, last week I got some £60 chain saw boots for £15, 10 pp3 masks for £3, 4 boiler suits £20 and 10 paper coveralls for £10 8-)

I'll try and get down there soon. The idea of some PP3 Masks appeals to me at the moment especially in the light of the current Ebola outbreak - can never be too safe.

I'm sure ARCO will carry a whole load of other stuff. It's been a while since I was last in there but from I remember it's like an Alladins cave :mrgreen:
Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
Appin

Post by Appin »

I would add oil of cloves for tooth ache ( dentists not too keen on this these days as if you need this level of dental pain relief you really need dentist.)

Temporary filling kit. ( these are designed for use by you and me)

Dental pain is very distressing.

As well as heart attacks aspirin is also good for "transient ischaemic attacks" these are a temporary stroke lasting only a few minutes. If nothing is done you risk going on to a full stroke.

if you are carrying indigestion relief then gaviscon and ranitidine ( both OTC) are good.

Rather than superglue look for "steristrips" or similar, these are what they use for kids instead of sutures. Again available OTC

Appin
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Trawlerman,
My wife is type 1 diabetic and she is my biggest worry what with insulin shelf life.
I had a friend in America who sent me a link to making your own insulin. I can't for the life of me find it now but perhaps you may of come across such an article ?

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Take a look, starting on page 251 here...

http://books.google.com/books?id=9aK...um=1&ct=result

The book is called Cheating Destiny: Living with Diabetes and it gives a few hints on the process. Most interesting is determining the strength of the insulin by starting a control group and a test group of rabbits for a day and injecting them with insulin of a known strength and the homemade insulin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Saxl
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Thanks very much Hamradioop,
I'll get the dear wife to read that as she will understand it more than I in the initial read, then I'll do whatever to ensure I still get my morning coffee brought to me in bed after a month :lol:

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack