Hawthorn

Medical and Healthcare
grenfell

Re: Hawthorn

Post by grenfell »

Mad Scientist wrote:Argh you poor thing! How high is your hedge? the buggers were obviously determined.
The hedge is probably fifteen feet high and some trunks are probably three inches across with a couple of sycamores in there too so mature. I only hope they picked up some thorns that have gone septic , I certainly snagged a few repairing the hole they cut.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Just an update on the tetanus jabs. I made an appointment to get one at the same time as my daughter who needs a couple of jabs (Typhoid and Hepatitis A) for her trip this summer. I didn't get one because, after the ones you get as a child, apparently you don't need one unless you need treatment for a "deep laceration" and it's not given preventatively. I think that's quite a subjective description, but would hope the doctors know when one is needed. What it does mean is that it's not something we can prep for and it's a bit aggravating because the NHS website says we need 5 throughout our lifetime to be covered and we should be up-to-date - I doubt I've had more than one or two as a child and reckoned I was due another. Be sure that, having consulted the NHS and been given this advice, if I get tetanus from a cut in the garden that isn't a "deep laceration", I'll be seeking redress if I'm not dead :lol: . On another note, the practice nurse was putting all the information (country, area, time of year, age, etc) into the computer to find out which jabs my daughter needed. Our medical staff no longer store all of this information in their heads or have books to hand. I doubt we will be sending our family on international travel post SHTF, but as this seems to be normal procedure for treatment, you can be sure that for many situations our medical staff will be as lost as we are without their computers.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

It's quite some time since I first post this topic of hawthorn. Mrs B's thumb is just about back to normal. How many weeks has this been?!!? I will be sorting out tetanus boosters for me and Mrs B. The daft thing is, it's easier to get boosters for the dogs.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Nearly five mate.
I've had several tetanus shots over the years, working with rusty metal is good for something :lol:

I just had a passing thought about finding which country is an utter plague-pit and telling the NHS that I've booked a holiday there..... Anyone know some place you need a smallpox* jab for?

* I know, its officially extinct in the wild.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Nearly five mate.
I've had several tetanus shots over the years, working with rusty metal is good for something :lol:

I just had a passing thought about finding which country is an utter plague-pit and telling the NHS that I've booked a holiday there..... Anyone know some place you need a smallpox* jab for?

* I know, its officially extinct in the wild.

Anywhere in Central Asia would do for that - I am being brought up to date at the moment, they are administering dozens of jabs prior to my trip to Kyrgyzstan later this summer. Turkmenistan is quite literally a plague-pit, they have periodic outbreaks of bubonic plague which are swiftly hushed up by the authorities.
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

Had no probs convincing my GP Nurse to give Teinus jab - just told them my work involved forestry and gardning. As the actress said to the Bishop just a slight prick and all over - should be good for a five years plus now...
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

lightningxl wrote:Had no probs convincing my GP Nurse to give Teinus jab - just told them my work involved forestry and gardning. As the actress said to the Bishop just a slight prick and all over - should be good for a five years plus now...
Yep, we've just done that too.
junmist

Post by junmist »

I have bumped this thread as I was showing my sister this site as a visitor (dripping tap meathead is working) and re-read Briggs question.
First how did it turn out Briggs.
Second I noticed no one mention using a bread poultice to draw poison out, this is a very good drawing agency and is something most of us will have round the house
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

junmist wrote:I have bumped this thread as I was showing my sister this site as a visitor (dripping tap meathead is working) and re-read Briggs question.
First how did it turn out Briggs.
Second I noticed no one mention using a bread poultice to draw poison out, this is a very good drawing agency and is something most of us will have round the house
I'm pleased to say Mrs B's thumb healed up quite well and she's asked me to add that she was applying teatree oil regularly until it got better.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Excuse ignorance here but... How do you make a bread poultice? What do you need to add to the bread?
Thank you in advance.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.