Hawthorn

Medical and Healthcare
FEISTY

Re: Hawthorn

Post by FEISTY »

jansman wrote:The main thing is Tetanus. Make sure you are up on your jabs. It now lasts a lifetime.
I keep hydrogen peroxide in. Always used it to clean wounds from work. As a Butcher you get the odd one. It hurts like hell, but cleans it a treat.
A very good point! I know the kids are up-to-date, but are we?
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Briggs wrote:It just goes to show how a tangle with the wrong bit of fauna and flora can sometimes quickly get complicated. She was wearing thick work gloves at the time as well.
I did a quick google earlier and the thorns can be up to 11 1/2cm, depending on the variety. I won't be putting hawthorn in the garden. You could lose an eye! Briggs, I use a variety of gloves in the garden, but even the thick "thorn proof" gloves are no match for a thorny rose or brambles, never mind hawthorn. Hope your wife got this sorted out.
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

Thank you for all your advice and kind comments, I'm pleased to say Mrs B's thumb is no longer black to dark grey and is nearly back to normal size, shape and colour.

She's up to date with tetanus so we are putting this down to ignoring the early symptoms and delaying getting treatment going. The irony is that Mrs B planted 100 or so hawthorn bushes last year with no incident. I'm no biologist/botanist but perhaps it takes time for the bacteria to develop on the thorns?
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Hawthorn and Blackthorn puncture wounds are nasty, my Great Uncle had a finger amputated due to a blackthorn wound becoming septic.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Taking all that on board, if you wanted to make your land more secure, these and other thorny plants could be of use as a barrier.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Yes, I've recently planted hawthorn, pyracantha, berberis and holly along the borders of my garden to act as a deterrent to would be intruders. :evil:
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

We planted it to keep deer out. It doesn't. Humans yes. Deer no. They bloody eat it. Thorns too.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Panther wrote:Yes, I've recently planted hawthorn, pyracantha, berberis and holly along the borders of my garden to act as a deterrent to would be intruders. :evil:
Didn't work for me :( I have a mature hawthorn hedge bordering my property supplemented with a barbed wire fence too but alas some thieving scrotes cut through it at night to then break into a shed. Forensics looked all over the entry point but they had somehow managed to avoid getting caught on a single thorn :evil:
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Argh you poor thing! How high is your hedge? the buggers were obviously determined.Back to the original post, a poultice of breadcrumbs will draw out a splinter. In a shtf situation you could use bread mould that is greyish blue or green that are penicillium species, that's the stuff they make antibiotics with. Absolutely avoid mould that is any other colour particularly red or black. Do not use moulds from other things.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Hamradioop wrote:Hawthorn and Blackthorn puncture wounds are nasty, my Great Uncle had a finger amputated due to a blackthorn wound becoming septic.

I just wanted to reiterate this - blackthorn wounds are known for going septic very quickly. Not to be ignored, especially post-SHTF.

For topical cleaning, you could use a strong sage tea, or tea-tree oil, or a strong and warm saline solution, and calendula would help healing. Garlic is best used for respiratory illnesses. Mag Sulph paste - is that still around? We used it a lot as kids.