Bugging in

Homes and Retreats
Dropbear

Bugging in

Post by Dropbear »

apologies in advance if people take this the wrong way but... we may be in the position to relocate at some point this year and i have looked at bug in locations for some time. we would be in the position to buy some land and pay for a fair whack of a self-build but although i have researched it quite a bit i can't seem to work out how much the build would cost without going through the architect/estate agent's door :evil: anyway, has anybody done this who could give me some guidelines (i know, how long is a piece of string but i'm only after ballpark stuff or personal experience). thanks in advance.
AJC

Re: Bugging in

Post by AJC »

Hi, as you said how long is abit of sting? I am building my own house at the moment, small 2beds, 114sq meter (thanks Planners :evil: ) Natrual stone my own labour hoping for £90,000.
Theirs a selfbuild mag that gives prices per sq meter, cant rember the name but its in WHsmiths
Andrew
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

The old standard was The Housebuilder's Bible.

Covers pretty much everything you need to know.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

It depends on your area. I know in the SE, in my local area the build cost is approx £100 - £110 /sq ft for a mid range level of finish. Basic finish I think is about £80/sq ft, and high end finish is pretty much open really...

This site has some interesting info on it for self builders:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/feature/h ... t-part-one
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
counsellor

Post by counsellor »

i agree the last time i investigated it wasabout £80 per sq ft but its all the extras that hits the price.
however it all down to how much work you can do your self
Dropbear

Post by Dropbear »

thanks all! will keep an eye out for that mag but the figures are what i was expecting/hoping.
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

Dropbear wrote:thanks all! will keep an eye out for that mag but the figures are what i was expecting/hoping.
No, honestly buy the book

The Housebuilder's Bible.

It really does cover everything you need to know and it's update regularly with new prices and new building regs.