Solar panels on East-West roof.

Homes and Retreats
Deeps

Re: Solar panels on East-West roof.

Post by Deeps »

FEISTY wrote:
Deeps wrote:I just got my first quarters worth of lecky money, £268 lovely smackeroonies and that's in sunny Fife. :shock: I'll have to see after a year but as a rough guide, if that's a spring quarter, autumn will be roughly similar and using this as a baseline, I'm thinking roughly a grand a year subsidy for the panels ??? Our lecky bill has halved to about 30 quid a month as well. Quite chuffed with that to be honest. :D

Now if I can just get a wind turbine in the back garden....... ;)
Hi Deeps
We're Central Belt (probably about the same amount of sun, LOL!). Can you tell me who you used, did you need planning consent, what type of system (sorry, I'm just back on here after a break), does it cover lecky for a family ... etc? My ideal would be a system we pay for ourselves (not tied into a "deal"), that we can generate all our electricity from and be paid for extra lecky - unlikely with our usage!!!! I'd like to be able to take us off the grid in the event of a SHTF scenario. We are in a bungalow with a shallow roof facing in various directions, including South. We're currently paying something in the region of £2.5K per annum (electricity and gas). I still have a multi-fuel boiler on the prep list, but not at that stage yet. Currently have GCH and a separate gas fire we don't use unless it's really, really cold in the winter (we didn't use it last winter). I sense my hubby warming to the idea of solar - I'd like to strike while the iron is warmish, but it's hard to put a case when you don't really know that much about how the systems work. He said at one point that you couldn't have more than 14 panels on a roof - I've no idea why that would be and I see more than that all the time, but I say nothing. How many did you go for?
Cheers
I'll PM you Feisty.
Kris369

Re: Solar panels on East-West roof.

Post by Kris369 »

Ok so a few days ago the government announced the end of supportive feed in tariffs for small scale solar systems from 14p/kW to 1p/kW. Starting 1st Jan 2016.

This news essentially makes any grid feed system an expensive waste of money! Beyond angry at this news, complete environmental u-turn by the gov and will kill the domestic solar industry.
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.