Home Security Plan

Homes and Retreats
RuralPrepper

Home Security Plan

Post by RuralPrepper »

Just wondering what people would do in the event of a home invasion / burglary.

So your in bed at late night and you hear someone breaking in to your home , They are inside now. What would YOU do to defend your family and property?

Personally I would investigate first with a torch and call 999 but not sure what further I would go. What would you do? :D
damaralenoire

Re: Home Security Plan

Post by damaralenoire »

I have had this situation happen to me and little did i know the law differs for the use of reasonable force in a house than reasonable force in a ground floor apartment like where i live. Very little time in a 1 bedroom apartment police were called but had to confront the maniac with no chance of hiding. However i did floor him and literally sat on him til police arrived. turned out to be the neighbor from upstairs who blamed his crime on depression and Post traumatic stress from the army. Surprise surprise, instead of them addressing the fact that i am a single woman facing an attacker, i was questioned as to why i had collectable daggers and swords on display in my apartment.
AREA 12

“Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes.”
RuralPrepper

Post by RuralPrepper »

Very brave , are cable ties aloud to restrain intruders? :D :D
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Did you happen to use any of these Sharps on the intruder ?

Or is it because you're a girl and are 'supposed'* to have pictures of fluffy bunnies and rainbows on your walls ?

I'm assuming that meathead had to get through a locked door or something ??

* According to arseholes that is..... As far as I'm concerned you can paint eight foot tall inverted penticles if you want
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Did you put on a moronic grin and say its because your a girl and you like shiny things... :twisted: then see what the police say/ how they react :lol: They should have been praising you for showing restraint and not sticking a few in the offender :!:

Love how the criminals always hide behind "mental health problems" Or a "bad childhood" or "been in a group who influence them" "have a drink or drug problem"

like we need to feel sorry for them....

Wonder what the result would be if someone broke into a house where someone took part in medieval re-enactment and they got the business end of a mace or cross bow :mrgreen:

I don't keep a weapon handy after all its illegal

However i do have a nice big 6d maglite which is great for investigating in the dark as its a nice bright light...

( yes i have smaller brighter led torches but the maglite is far more reliable as the smaller leds using those lithium rechargeables just turn off when the batteries run flat with no warning)

to shine down the stair case to see if anyone's coming up having made as much noise as possible shouting the police are on the way and pressing the panic button
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
damaralenoire

Post by damaralenoire »

for me the guy unhooked the latch on my kitchen window which is about 7-8ft off the ground, and entered the property climbing over my sink. i didnt use any sharp weapons but fortunately he had none on him either but it was more of a fisticuff than anything and as he was intoxicated it was easy to floor him, the police were arrogant but the items i had on display were purely collect-able even though they are sharp when pulled out of their sheath. i was told that his broken nose could of been avoided if i had just let him leave but he made out that when he went for the front door after i confronted him that i wouldnt let him leave and beat him to the floor..... that wasnt completely true ;) but his face did hit my bare concrete hallway floor pretty hard............ a couple of times....... Anyway i was told i went to far but no action was taken.......

Did anyone see the news about the guy who had two men breaking into his business stealing, he defending himself and broke the two legs of one of the criminals but today the criminal was trying to get sympathy in the papers stating he was the victim. incident in question is not far from where i live.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eared.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/an ... ubPwRDFLIU

Back to the question though, it is difficult to have much of a plan due to living in a very small business. all i can do is encure, windows are locked and my front door is locked, i have no where to hide, i have 3 landline phones situation living room, bedroom and hallway and have my mobile next to me to. Told off by police when i had a security camera installed so i have to just hope nothing like that happens again soon.
AREA 12

Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

The 5 of us the youngest being 6 feet tall and about 14 stone, would have called the police upon realizing someone had actually entered, they would have to get past a security system and worry about a Rottweiler with the freedom of the house to be a real worry, should it come to it defending in the heat of the moment in a situation like that, we are talking about what we would like to think we would do unless we have had experience surely? I hope it would be as appropriate and measured as we possibly could manage.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

damaralenoire wrote: Told off by police when i had a security camera installed so i have to just hope nothing like that happens again soon.

Why was that because your a business and need to fill in a Data protection act form / licence in?

Going back a few years ago one of our old neigbours had a CCTV camera setup in the 10 foot where his garage is.. He caught someone clear as a bell trying to break into his garage... Police ohh you cant go filming in a public place we cant use the CCTV...

Few weeks later someone turns over the local shop and dump the till and remains of the Cigarette counter rack opposite his garage....

Guess what they wanted to see the footage... but he told them to go forth.....

The law does slowly seem to be turning more in favour of the victim

My father chased down a lead thief who was stripping the pub snooker hall roof (he was faster than the police who were in attendance) and walked the scrote back litterally by the belt and scruff of his neck ... the little shyster screamed the Assault card...... Copper said to him loudly well we better investigate this alleged assault... shone the torch on him and said you aren't bleeding or bruised and this kind member of the public assisted me in my arrest so the assembled 8 coppers could all have a good laugh :lol:

Same scrote came back next day to try and finish the job only he was caught by a big grizzly docker and in the scuffle he fell off the roof :roll: same officers attended and slung him back in the van with a word along the lines of if he goes on wet roofs they can be very slippery

damaralenoire

Post by damaralenoire »

I was told that i couldnt have a camera because my apartment front door which is on the street looked on to the front door opposite mine as there is only about 10ft between us and therefore i would be breaching opposite neighbours privacy, so then i said what if i put the camera in my kitchen window but told tat the garden behind my kitchen is a communal garden so couldnt use it there either so i am only allowed to have a camera inside my apartment looking at the rooms inside which is not as effective
AREA 12

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

damaralenoire wrote:I was told that i couldnt have a camera because my apartment front door which is on the street looked on to the front door opposite mine as there is only about 10ft between us and therefore i would be breaching opposite neighbours privacy, so then i said what if i put the camera in my kitchen window but told tat the garden behind my kitchen is a communal garden so couldnt use it there either so i am only allowed to have a camera inside my apartment looking at the rooms inside which is not as effective
think sometimes the police are not sure on the law...... do these help?

http://www.middevon.gov.uk/CHttpHandler ... =16634&p=0

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/ind ... -on-homes/

Most decent camera software be it on the camera or on the hard drive allow digital masking so you can cut off say a neighbours window from been recorded