A life of a pioneer

Homes and Retreats
janso

A life of a pioneer

Post by janso »

I was watching a documentary over the weekend on the American West and its cowboy/ frontier history... maybe I'm the only one not thought of it, but it did appeal to me as a prepping topic. After a serious SHTF scenario, wouldnt society face the same conditions met by the pioneers on the great frontier?

Had a quick peek about and found this site:

http://www.pioneerliving.net/

Maybe some information could be gleaned from the States and adapted/ used for the UK on most of the skills and techniques used to survive and build communities/ towns?
Damkina

Re: A life of a pioneer

Post by Damkina »

Nice site and a good idea. Never thought about the fact that our family have Mormon friends in Utah that could give some suggestions.

Every year a large group of them travel part way across the States in the wagons that the pioneers used, living as they do. I'm over due in sending them a letter, so I've got something else to ask. ;)

I've just picked up a book for £2 in a discount basket too. "Little Book Of Log Cabins- How to Build and Furnish Them" by William S. Wicks. Haven't got sat down to read it yet, and I doubt I'd be able to do half of what the instructions advise, (no photos only line drawings) but some of the easier stuff at the beginning might be useful if you were in a desperate situation.
janso

Re: A life of a pioneer

Post by janso »

Definitely..... I've looked at building a smallish cabin to replace the outside shed, using traditional methods it should be a labour of love! But it does have its applications for post event communities, even long term shelter for a family or individual (like a trappers cabin).

Even down to other areas of the pioneer lifestyle - cooking, fire building, foraging, water storage, etc. May be useful to see how these skills could be of benifit in the UK with different weather, landscapes, etc. :idea: :idea: