How can I find a suitable BO location?

Homes and Retreats
Thunder

How can I find a suitable BO location?

Post by Thunder »

Hi,

I live in London, so bugging out is a real problem for me.

I have no idea how I can find a suitable BO location - even if I had £20k spare to buy some land, it seems very doubtful I would find anything even remotely suitable or safe for BO, or indeed, that cheap. I've even looked for some remote woodland in North Wales & similar, but this isn't exactly convenient for London! And again unless you've got at least a spare £20 then forget it.

Anyone got any suggestions?
pseudonym

Re: How can I find a suitable BO location?

Post by pseudonym »

Google Earth/Maps is your friend. :D

I used them to scout out locations 1 days walk away as a stop over then worked further out for potential locations.

My under 2 hour walk brings me to a disused Military base with underground bunkers and tunnels - that'll do for starters.

Further afield I have friends and Relations that would welcome me and Woodlands available for short stays with permissions.

I have maps to get to all locations.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Underground tunnels ?
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
redskies

Post by redskies »

poppypiesdad wrote:Underground tunnels ?

There are a surprising amount of these all over the UK, in the most unlikely of places.

Of course, the other option is to do what we've done; gone from a big city in the south to an extremely remote rural location in the north. We've made our own work, and the location allows us to pick up a shortfall in income by growing food etc. And whilst we use tech for work, most of the other stuff we do is very low tech, thus low cost.

If taking yourself and your family off isn't an option, then as Pseudonym says, check out local maps. Plan a graduated bug out, appropriate to circumstances as much as they can be predicted. You can't tell exactly what will happen, but I would imagine that if TSHTF, you're going to find yourself in a situation where there's going to be lots of hungry people. So plan to blend. I'd be tempted to produce tatty looking clothes with multiple stitch ins where MRE's can be stored, that way you're not carrying a backpack and don't look any different to anyone else.

By the time TSHTF, I don't think people are going to be worrying too much about things like who owns what land, unless you land up in a very small community. If you find an expanse of woodland, then you've got everything there to build shelter. If you can hide a cache of MRE's, maybe inside a nice big barrel that can act as a raincatcher once you've dug it up, then you've got a head start. I'd be putting seeds in that barrel too, so I didn't have to rely on foraging all the time, only until I'd got a garden started. I'd also look at where I could maybe find some livestock in the reasonably local area. A cow/goat, some chickens, maybe a pig or two.

That's just off the top of my head; not something we have to consider, and for that, I am eternally grateful!
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

sorry i ment the london tube tunells, underground , subway , me bad
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
redskies

Post by redskies »

poppypiesdad wrote:sorry i ment the london tube tunells, underground , subway , me bad

For all the tube tunnels in constant use, there will be, at an estimate, half as many again that won't show up on modern maps or be in use at all. I'm wondering now if you couldn't use those to get out of London, staying underground almost all the way.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Thanks for your ideas - it's really helpful.
I live in SE London and the tube doesn't come that way because of the type of soil or something so that won't work for me although it is a good idea. You'd need to somehow get a subterranean map of London - they definitely exist, just not sure how available they are to the general public.

So the tube is no good for me however, you have given me a couple of ideas - the main one being that if the S really HTF then all transport will cease anyway as there will probably be no electricity, so I'll just use the overground railway network to make my escape which will totally avoid all the roads and therefore most people... it's definitely a plan, now I've just got to figure out where I escape to.
redskies

Post by redskies »

I'd start poking about anywhere that stores antique maps of public utilities. There's somewhere in London that does, but I can't remember where. Maybe the big central library there? They're considered worth preserving, so the information will be somewhere, you just have to find it.

If it was me, I'd head for a large wooded expanse I could get myself lost in - and hide a permenant dwelling and small garden/small holding in.
short circuit

Post by short circuit »

Lot's of underground places to hide in every town and city...London as old M.O.D and old london town streets lurking under your very feet and miles of tunnels to get from A to B. Look it up on google. Leeds as a network of old ex M.O.D tunnels under the old YEB buildings the doorway to it is in the bottom car park garage doorway to right at back of garage, down red steps thru the large room following the right wall thru another door way half way on the wide hall way is some shelfing to your left move it to find a steel door you are now in miles of tunnels and rooms that run under leeds and I mean miles ...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Fascinating! I'm also loving the concept of producing tatty looking clothes with secret storage pockets ...