Anyone ever thought of buying an island

Homes and Retreats
xplosiv1

Anyone ever thought of buying an island

Post by xplosiv1 »

I was just browsing though houses for sale earlier and came across this ........ hmmmmmm

It's a bit on the pricey side for what it is ..... but for what it is it's pretty good .... only problems I could think of off the top of my head is a fresh water supply, the lack of buildings would be pain in the ass too , it would probably coust another million to transport enough building materials there to build a substantial dwelling

there are pictures on the link http://www.s1homes.com/property-for-sal ... 4415.shtml

An iconic island lying in the outer Firth of Clyde, 10 miles off the shore. Home to the world's best known Curling Stone Quarry. Annual rental of £26,000. One attractive cottage and three former cottages. In all about 219.69 acres.

Ailsa Craig is formed from a volcanic plug from a long extinct volcano believed to be over 500million years old. It is an archetypal island mountain; a symmetrical cone of primitive rock thrusting from the sea 10 miles west of the south Ayrshire coastline and a symbol great natural grandeur.

It extends to about 2 miles in circumference and rises to an elevation of over 1100 feet above the sea.

Alisa Craig is known particularly for two main assets. Firstly, it is the breeding ground for one of the largest colonies of gannets in the world and secondly it contains a most important 'blue hone' granite quarry, known the world over as the source of granite for curling stones.

The lighthouse was built in 1883-6 by Thomas Stevenson.
There is a delightful small cottage at the foot of the cliff on the east side and a ruined castle approximately 60 metres up the path.

Ailsa Craig is for sale for the first time in many generations.

Ailsa Craig lies apprximately 10 miles off the Ayrshire Coast. Known as "Paddy's milestone" its sits approximately half way between Glasgow and Belfast. To get to Ailsa Craig it is possible to hire a private boat from Girvan or land a helicopter.
Last edited by xplosiv1 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
preppingsu

Re: Anyone ever thought of buying an island

Post by preppingsu »

And the catch is.......... :?
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Nice! I'll double check under the mattress tomorrow to see if I'm close to the asking price yet! For that amount of dosh, I'd personally relocate further afield, somewhere with a more consistent climate and more available resources. Although I doubt anywhere will trump the security from seclusion factor!
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Spiderwebb wrote:Nice! I'll double check under the mattress tomorrow to see if I'm close to the asking price yet! For that amount of dosh, I'd personally relocate further afield, somewhere with a more consistent climate and more available resources. Although I doubt anywhere will trump the security from seclusion factor!

I hear you .... I'd probably do the same if I had that kind of money to burn

here's another one but this is double the price http://www.s1homes.com/property-for-sal ... 4812.shtml

But it comes with a Helicopter hangar of approx 500 square meters. Observatory, boat house, 2 slips ways and a jetty. Moorings. Mains electricty and high speed broadband. Private beaches &sea fishing. A renowed sailing location. In all about 260 acres
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

WOW, now that's something. Do you think they'll take an offer :lol:
munchh

Post by munchh »

Thats like a dream, but quite a way to take the kids to school!
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
The Ace of Spades

Post by The Ace of Spades »

Yes, I've thought about buying an island lots of times.

Ace. :)
The future belongs to those who prepare.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Praemonitus Praemunitus
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I'd love it, but I'd have trouble commuting to London and back every day...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You pay all that money, and *then* you pay rent as well??? Pah! :lol: Plus climate change is going to wipe that cottage out sharpish :lol:

I really like that second one, though. I'd have to do the lottery to afford it. Just a shame I don't do the lottery :D
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Is that not the rent you will recieve from the quarry ?
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.